News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rode in hail today, I chose wisely.

Started by tazshido, June 17, 2011, 04:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

About 1 mile into my 11 mile commute home, it started to hail. Mostly pea sized and nothing bigger than 10-12mm. I thought about finding a place to hide but there are no overpasses along my route so I just kept on going. I have my 06 Girley prepped for inclement weather pretty well. I didn't like the semi-off road tires that were on her so I have an Avon Storm Ultra ST on the back and an Azarro on the front. Fantastic tires for riding in rain. My Cee Bailey's (modified) #2 tall windshield kept the hail off me except for my forearms. The hand guards kept my knuckles healthy and I always ride in good protective gear.
I was soaked to the skin but hell, I rode through a hail storm unscathed and that don't happen on just any bike. When NO ONE else is on two wheels out here, I'm still riding.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

Patman1200

Top riding!
I rode my 25 mile commute yesterday morning in a monsoon rainstorm. 2 inches of standing water on the motorway with 5 lanes of cars all looking like they were about to aquaplane.
I use Pirelli Angels on my Tigger and Bandit 1200 and think they are THE BEST rain and shine tyres I have ever used on a heavy road bike. They are completely boring on wet white lines and ruts and manhole covers. So far they have both done 8,000miles on their sets with no signs of wearing out  soon. I am amazed at the mileage I am getting out of them, and I don't exactly ride sedately in any weather, except snow.

Now all I want are a set of protective riding stuff that are WATERPROOF! Not rain resistant like goretex, that gets soaked and takes days to dry but proper waterproof.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer

JetdocX

The trouble with riding in a hail storm is the lightning. :shock:
From parts unknown.

tazshido

Quote from: "Patman1200"Now all I want are a set of protective riding stuff that are WATERPROOF! Not rain resistant like goretex, that gets soaked and takes days to dry but proper waterproof.

Frog-togs is now making their rainsuit in a motorcycle friendly style. I have one and it breaths well and keeps me bone dry. Check them out.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

Patman1200

Quote from: "tazshido"
Quote from: "Patman1200"Now all I want are a set of protective riding stuff that are WATERPROOF! Not rain resistant like goretex, that gets soaked and takes days to dry but proper waterproof.

Frog-togs is now making their rainsuit in a motorcycle friendly style. I have one and it breaths well and keeps me bone dry. Check them out.

Thanks Taz. I managed to find a set of Road Toads here in the UK cheap.
Today I road in constant rain at 80mph for 30 minutes to work.
I got off the bike and most of the water just dropped off letting me stay dry even when removing the rain suit.
This stuff is awesome!

Now to get the same stuff for the kids and wifey, if I can find a cheap way of getting it delivered to the UK.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Patman1200"
Quote from: "tazshido"

Thanks Taz. I managed to find a set of Road Toads here in the UK cheap.
Today I road in constant rain at 80mph for 30 minutes to work.
I got off the bike and most of the water just dropped off letting me stay dry even when removing the rain suit.
This stuff is awesome!

Now to get the same stuff for the kids and wifey, if I can find a cheap way of getting it delivered to the UK.

Any chance of posting details of UK suppliers please.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Patman1200

I will if I find any  :D
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock

fraser ross

morven and i today (15 yo daughter ) caught in thunder,lightning,hail and torrential rain today southbound a82 loch lomond ffs its july :shock:

Tigertriple

Quote from: "fraser ross"morven and i today (15 yo daughter ) caught in thunder,lightning,hail and torrential rain today southbound a82 loch lomond ffs its july :shock:

Summers here at last :lol:
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras