News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Longest Mileage on Tires:

Started by Danny955i, July 29, 2011, 06:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

Just curious, what's the highest mileage you've run 1 set of tires?
I'm getting some new rubber spooned on tomorrow (Conti Road Attack II) and after checking my books, I realized I really piled the miles on in about a year's time.

Brand, front mileage, rear mileage, how old the tires were, condition.

Metzler Tourance
-Front and Rear: 6600 miles, 9 years old, hard as plastic.

Michelin Pilot Road
- Rear 11,000 miles, 1 year old, started to dry-rot/pull apart.
- Front 17,000 miles, 1 year 2 months old, slight scalloping.

Timbox2

Im on my 4th Front and 5th Rear since buying the bike ( 18 months), Ive never looked at how old the tyres were when I bought them, so cant tell you that bit of info, but make/mileage wise........

I tend to change when the handling really starts to go off, not necessarily totally worn out as such.  Tourances have definately lasted the longest of all the tyres Ive tried, the Contis though win with the handling and Dry or Wet grip.

This doesnt include the Tourances that were on the bike when I bought it and got 3600 miles out of.

Front
Conti Trail attack   6155
Metz Tourance       9300  
Mich Annakee II     7400
Conti Trail attack    2800   Still on
Rear
Conti Trail Attack  6155
Metz Tourance      7300      Ditto
Mich Anakee II      3600   (Punctured)
Mich Anakee II      5800
Conti Trail attack   2800    Still on
2016 Tiger Sport

chairhead

You will love the Contis,
an excellent tyre!
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

cosmo

I got 16,000 miles from the first set of Michelin Tourances. Now on my second set. Look to be about halfway worn, maybe less, at 25,500 now.

I don't ride hard, I'm old. I do ride often, my car gets 10 mpg. Actually, I haven't driven my car since February.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Danny955i"Michelin Pilot Road
- Rear 11,000 miles, 1 year old, started to dry-rot/pull apart.
- Front 17,000 miles, 1 year 2 months old, slight scalloping.

as far as i know tyres/tires have a warranty for the life of the tyre, so if it was a year old with tread left and was starting to pull apart you should of had it replaced, minus what you had worn  :? meaning, if the tyre had half of the tread left you should get a new tyre for half price !!

worth checkin !!

KK

ps http://www.motorbiketires.net/Reading-a-Tire.php
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Nick Calne

Quote from: "cosmo"I ....my car gets 10 mpg.....

Cosmo

!0mpg!  :cry:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

I take my hat off to you blokes who keep records,my tyres last as long as the profile does,as soon as it's gone so's the tyre,bugger how much tread is on it,

cosmo

Quote from: "nickcalne"

Cosmo

It's 5,500 lbs and 8.2 litres.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Dred

I'm always worried about getting back rolling, so I don't have records.  But, I can tell you I've got +7k on the front that was attached when I bought Mad Maxine.

Swapped out the chorded rear for a Michelin Pilot Road 3 about 3500 miles (1 month; 2 saddlesores) ago - and I'm try'n to wait for the matching front to come available as long as it happens in the next couple thousand miles.  I'm lov'n the road 3 rear.

My mile'ometer thing is always on "trip" and I can tell you with great confidence that the logest I've got out of a tank of gas is 241 miles thanks to a good bit of inattention.  It was an epic exit from the superslab when I glanced down and was overcome by panic.  I give up on my fuel indicator light - it has only lit on startup since I've known Maxine and the 5.7 gallons she took at 240 miles is more than I ever "want" to push her.

smoketriples

Man...I've got an H2 Hummer that gets better MPGs than that!!  I routinely get 15 cruising and mid 13's in town.   Of course the Hummer is only a 6 litre.

-eric
Quote from: "cosmo"

Cosmo

Cosmo
\'00 Girly
\'86 Honda CMX250D
\'82 Honda MB5
\'80 Honda CM400
\'79 Yam IT175
\'74 suzi gt750
\'74 suzi gt750 cafe

abruzzi

Quote from: "cosmo"

Cosmo

Cosmo

My Aprilia's entire gas tank (2007 SXV550) is smaller than the displacement of your car.

Geof

ix

My best ever was my Metzeler Tourances: I got around 20,000 miles on the front and went through two rears in that time.

I'd have bought more Tourances, but:
    - the front cupped badly
    - they were noisy
    - the bike had a dangerous weave at high speeds (gentle at about 85 mph, dangerous over 95), like a tank slapper waiting to happen.
- Ix

Timbox2

Quote from: "ix"My best ever was my Metzeler Tourances: I got around 20,000 miles on the front and went through two rears in that time.

I'd have bought more Tourances, but:
    - the front cupped badly
    - they were noisy
    - the bike had a dangerous weave at high speeds (gentle at about 85 mph, dangerous over 95), like a tank slapper waiting to happen.

20,000 Miles!!!!!!, So, after the weave, did you ride it at 40 everywhere :shock:
2016 Tiger Sport