News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear rotor cross reference / brake line question/carb kit?

Started by wakdady, August 10, 2011, 08:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakdady

My rear rotor is toast. I need a new one but the dealer wants way too much.
Is there another equivalent that will work?

Also need rebuild kits for the calipers in case they are seized.

lastly, anyone makes a carb rebuild kit? K&L or Keyster? its so hard to find anything for these things. i think the carbs are mikuni bst36, but i cant find squat on these things!

i had used a keyster kit on my FJ and it came with everything and all the parts were great quality. I want to replace all o-rings, emulsion tubes, jets, gaskets. hoping i dont have to purchase individually from triumph, or bikebandit (which is essentially the same price)

Bikebandit seems to be the only source for parts. I am going through the whole bike and im getting a lot of parts, including throttle cables, are box, brake lines, and a lot more.

regarding the brakes, has anyone replaced the brake lines with stainless lines and then deleting the splitter, running both lines up to the MC?

i know these are a lot of questions, and they are also unorganized, but that's how my ADD mind works. plus i'm at work.

-Henry

Mustang

EBC sells rear rotors for steamers but they are like 200 bucks
sometimes one comes up on ebay but not often
There is a guy in china on ebay that sells rotors for steamers , I think they are junk though

look in EBC's online catalog and find which bikes use the same pads as steamers , you may find a caliper rebuild kit cheaper , they are just 2 pot Nissin calipers

what year is your bike , the 98's brake lines are stainless under the rubber cover . and yes you can run two lines to the master and do away with the splitter .....but why ?

wakdady

mine's a '96.
as for the splitter. most manufacturers did away with the splitter, and i could only imagine it was because of an increase in performance. at the very least less parts. i did this on my FJ and the braking did improve.

i am on the fence on the Ebay rotors. there are few reviews on them. but i havent actually read a bad review, i.e. they exploded! for the price they seem good. but i was only able to find front rotors, not rear.

damn. this $1900 bike sure is getting costly, lol

Mustang

Quote from: "wakdady"mine's a '96.
i did this on my FJ and the braking did improve.
Remember this aint no FJ  :ImaPoser

Quote from: "wakdaddy"damn. this $1900 bike sure is getting costly, lol
sounds like you got one that was neglected and abused  :cry:

BruKen

Quote from: "wakdady"damn. this $1900 bike sure is getting costly, lol

She's a lady not a tramp, waddidya expect :lol:

wakdady

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "wakdady"mine's a '96.
i did this on my FJ and the braking did improve.
Remember this aint no FJ  :ImaPoser

Quote from: "wakdaddy"damn. this $1900 bike sure is getting costly, lol
sounds like you got one that was neglected and abused  :cry:

tell me about it. the brackets one the back of the frame where the rear mudguard bolts up to were sheared off! i'm taking it to get welded tonight.

i did notice the rear shock had just been rebuilt and it has a purple hyperpro spring. are these good springs? it still feels pretty bouncy.

mind you. i've never ridden an adventure bike, so everything is new to me. especially the lack of handling!!!!

JetdocX

EBC makes a rear rotor.  I just bought one and it was pricey :shock:

I'll put the part number up when I get home and find the reciept from Cyclebrakes.

Alternately, you could call them and have them look it up for you.
From parts unknown.

rybes

i got hyperpro springs in mine and had the same issue as you bouncy feel. play with your suspension settins and you can get it good. my compression is at 7 and rebound on 4. in my gear i weigh around 100kg. no longer have chicken strips on me tyres and almost gone too far once or twice :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

MtheTiger

-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Mustang

Quote from: "MtheTiger"Check with Trev for good and relatively cheap Triumph parts. Fast & good delivery.

http://www.triumphparts.co.uk/www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/info.php?p=2&pno=0&pid=687799&cat=34955&ack=9&search=&sought=
postage to San Francisco probably will be a deal breaker

wakdady

alright. things are starting to get sorted. I got a new rear rotor off ebay.uk for $85 shipped.

I really need to address the carbs.
What model carb does my '96 have?
should i need needles, emulsion tubes, gaskets, etc. where do i get them?

Mustang

mikunis ...............depends if you need parts or not , does it   run all right ?
 i have a 95 with mikunis that are all original and it runs sweet with 55,000 miles on it , but it has been well taken care of by me since day 1

JetdocX

Sorry, forgot to post the cyclebrakes part number.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Cyclebrakes part number:  MD645  EBC Pro Lite Rotor, rear.

Currently $148. :roll:
From parts unknown.

wakdady

Quote from: "Mustang"mikunis ...............depends if you need parts or not , does it   run all right ?
 i have a 95 with mikunis that are all original and it runs sweet with 55,000 miles on it , but it has been well taken care of by me since day 1

well.... it starts right up. sounds fine. doesnt smell overly rich and pulls pretty well. but seeing as how i'm going to do a valve check i might as well overhaul the carbs.
as for the valves, what is the check interval? it's got 56k miles and i've got a receipt from the PO for $1,320 in 2009. Apparently, they did valves, air box, plugs, balanced carbs and some minor things. it had 47k miles at the time of service.

Mustang

Personally I would leave the carbs alone if it is running sweet , the valve clearances are 12k intervals , but..............the older they get and the harder they are ridden you should be checkin em more often