News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

More Head Shaking...

Started by Danny955i, August 16, 2011, 02:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny955i

Note: This involves breaking the law... :)

1. Just installed new Conti Road Attack 2's.
2. Riding without panniers or trunk.
3. 95+ speeds.
4. Rear suspension fully tapped (topped out on preload and damping).
5. Front forks 1/2 inch above top triple tree.
6. The forks had new oil in them about 2 months ago before the new tires and I ran into 0 issues, the head bearing was also serviced, again, with 0 issues.

Under 95 the bike rides fine, with a slight vibration from 80-95... 95+ the bars start shaking very wobbly and I feel a tank slapper coming.

Note, It's not that I HAVE to be going this fast... nor is it safe... but I do... I hit 100mph daily during commutes on the highway if there's no traffic.

The bike did NOT do this before the new tires, and the only difference is the lowered front forks by the 1/2 inch stated.

Is this causing my wobble? The shortened wheelbase and less rake?

I like the way the bike sits in this configuration, but if it's going to cause me to kill myself, I'd rather just put it back to stock with the forks flush to the top of the trees.

lucifer

either front end balance of tire pressure would be where I would first start. I used to own a ZZR 600 and that would let me know if the front had less in than it wanted, just as you described.

Danny955i

Probably pump it back up to 40psi then. Then we'll give it another try.

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Danny955i"4. Rear suspension fully tapped (topped out on preload and damping).

What does that mean in English as she is spoke in England?  :wink:

I find too little rear preload makes the front feel odd. I've never wound it up to five either. Damping is set somewhere in the middle too. I
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Timbox2

Quote from: "Danny955i"...............................The bike did NOT do this before the new tires, and the only difference is the lowered front forks by the 1/2 inch stated.

Got to be something to do with either of these then hasnt it? Put the forks back, if it still does it its the Tyres.
2016 Tiger Sport

Mustang

It's probably the tires , I've had various brands do that same thing until you get some mileage on them ....................some at even slower speeds than that . They have all come into it after some miles

Jaythro

If you are riding Solo try slackening the preload and the rebound If there is NO play/give at the rear then the bike cannot adapt to road surfaces and will stress the frame and the rider

So many times I have sorted clients suspension problems with dropping compression and rebound to give about 30mm to 50mm sag and slackening the rebound so that the shock actually gets time to extend again between bumps

Also tyre pressures Should be what the manufacturer recommends not what you think it should be! I would have thought it was 36F 42R with the Conti's? BUT check their website

Why did you raise the forks thru the yokes? If you lower the front you should so similar at the rear to maintain the geometry but 12.5 mm is not excessive and should n;t leave you nervous

My Guess is suspension set up and tyres

Chris Canning

Might well be tyres,but you dropped the forks 1/2" your kidding!!! no wonder it's jumping about at 100mph,back the preload off and drop the back end that'll cure it,the pay off of course it won't turn as quick at low speed.

My Tiger does the same with the 17" front wheel if I leave the preload the same from riding two up.

NKL

What do you expect with max preload on the rear and dropped forks, you must have very smooth roads to run that though.
As Chris says back the preload off to get the back end down and try it again.
That said, mine goes into a slight weeve at 110mph with the Trail Attaks but that is with the top box on.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

lucifer

my folks are dropped about half an inch with no problems at all 95mph with top box no head shake and no weave. this has got to be a tire issue IMO.

CP.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "lucifer"my folks are dropped about half an inch with no problems at all 95mph with top box no head shake and no weave. this has got to be a tire issue IMO.

CP.

With the preload to the max?

Danny955i

I'm going to soften the suspension today and ensure the front is pumped up. I think when they installed the front they did the default 36psi that most tires run.

It says 42psi cold on the front tire, 38 cold on the rear as MAX. (seems kinda opposite to me?)

I was riding 2 up and left the rear shock that way.. plus, I like the way it feels... I have 100% highway commute of about 50 miles 1 way, so the stiff suspension feels good... especially making quick maneuvers. But, a little give should fix the geometry slightly.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Dan

Actually.. I posted a quick video here: http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,74418#74418

You can see the headshake a bit on the highway piece... going about 120mph. :oops:

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Danny955i"I'm going to soften the suspension today and ensure the front is pumped up. I think when they installed the front they did the default 36psi that most tires run.

It says 42psi cold on the front tire, 38 cold on the rear as MAX. (seems kinda opposite to me?)

I was riding 2 up and left the rear shock that way.. plus, I like the way it feels... I have 100% highway commute of about 50 miles 1 way, so the stiff suspension feels good... especially making quick maneuvers. But, a little give should fix the geometry slightly.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Dan

Actually.. I posted a quick video here: http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,74418#74418

You can see the headshake a bit on the highway piece... going about 120mph. :oops:

What you are actually doing here is treading a well trodden path to an aftermarket shock,becuase as one starts to educate ones self what does what and how,they realise the one size fits all shock is pretty basic to say the least and there's a lot more to be had out of the Tiger(at a cost) by spending the hard earned!!!

As for head shake if I leave my setup as is from riding two up,it'll start shaking it's head around 100mph,with the same set up two up fully loaded it will also start do it as the motor goes to the redline with a 19t engine sprocket which on mine is a tad over 130,but baring in mind even with all the gear on still like a mini moto with a 17" front wheel.

On a trip to the factory in hushed tones Triumph staff suggested dropping the forks through yokes 5-10mm,in the days when I had a stock wheel I noticed any more than that the bike had a tendency to tuck on tight corners.

A funny story,when the first 885i's came out,the forks are pushed through the yokes for packing in the crate,when dealers assembled them left the forks as is  :D ,some customers had an interesting first ride!!!.

lucifer

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "lucifer"my folks are dropped about half an inch with no problems at all 95mph with top box no head shake and no weave. this has got to be a tire issue IMO.

CP.

With the preload to the max?

No about mid point.

I only top out the preload if I ride two up or with top box and panniers full.

Chris.

Danny955i

Here's what I did:

Softened the damping to 1/2 way.
Softened the preload 3 clicks from full.
Pumped the tire up to 42psi (per cold instruction on tire)

Took it for a ride.

NASTY head shake from 75mph, almost landed me in a tank slapper, it was HAIRY.

I think I'm going to lengthen the suspension back to stock and put the rear shock back to full damp/load and take it for a spin...

If that doesn't help it, I have a sneaking suspicion that my front tube may be pinched/folded or that the wheel is way unbalanced.