News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replaced TPS, bike runs worse!

Started by mtrdrms, August 19, 2011, 08:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtrdrms

So I had the telltale surging and thought that I would try the TPS per the sticky post.  Went great until I started it up and drove it around after.  First off the idle seemed a bit high once it warmed up - maybe 1500 rpms.  Then once I put it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in it jumps to about 2000 rpms.  So I took it for a ride to see what that would be like and if it was snatchy before it is downright jerky now!  I disassembled/assembled with the triumph manual and I don't think I forgot anything.  Do I need to take it to the dealer to have the TPS reset now?  Most post I read say this isnt required.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy
1999 Tiger (approx 53k miles)

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Timbox2

Ive never done this so cant really comment, in Bixxer Bobs original post he didnt need to reset the closed position, but the Haynes Manual says on replacing it always needs reseting by Triumph Diagnostics, so, you could try a 12 Min Tune, but I dont know whether that will reset it or not, somebody will be along soon with more knowledge on this im sure.
2016 Tiger Sport

ChazzyB

If the TPS has been disturbed or replaced, it really needs does resetting. Essentially, a reset is saying to the ECU, "the voltage you're reading right now is the throttle closed position". A fraction of a volt difference from old setting to new and the ECU is going to be fed duff information...
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

mtrdrms

Quote from: "ChazzyB"If the TPS has been disturbed or replaced, it really needs does resetting. Essentially, a reset is saying to the ECU, "the voltage you're reading right now is the throttle closed position". A fraction of a volt difference from old setting to new and the ECU is going to be fed duff information...

That sounds right.  Does this need to be done by the dealer or is there another way (i.e. 12 minute tune)?

"To reject the part of the buddha that attends to the analysis of motorcycles is to miss the buddha entirely."
-Robert Pirsig

Mustang

try the 12 minute tune it's easy enuff to do .................

start the bike
let it idle
after the fans turn on let it idle for 12 minutes
touch nothing , in other words don't give the ecu any inputs like brake clutch etc
shut it off with the key
all sensors will be reset to default
now it will start relearning trim settings as you ride

mtrdrms

Quote from: "Mustang"try the 12 minute tune it's easy enuff to do .................

start the bike
let it idle
after the fans turn on let it idle for 12 minutes
touch nothing , in other words don't give the ecu any inputs like brake clutch etc
shut it off with the key
all sensors will be reset to default
now it will start relearning trim settings as you ride

Thanks Mustang, I'll do that in the morning.  I also just found the cable that hooks to the OBD port on this bike in the box of stuff from the PO.  The program download looks like a chore...

-Robert Pirsig

mtrdrms

12 minute tune didn't work.

-Robert Pirsig

metalguru

Couple of options here, ride the bike around for a few days going through cycle of hot cold and run ie, normal use, as it takes a while for the ecu to learn, it is a bit on the slow side.
Second is if you have the OBD lead and access to a laptop then down load TuneECU and reset the TPS that way, after all it is free and not as complicated as it looks, just follow the instructions for the part you are doing as reading all can confuse.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

mtrdrms

Ok so, I reset the tps using the tune ecu software and that fixed the high idle issue.  I have been driving it around and it really has not gotten any better as fas as the hesitation at constant throttle.  If I roll on the throttle it goes away and the bike pulls well.  If I am just cruising, especially at lower speeds, it hesitates and jerks around like crazy.  Any suggestions?  I am now able to work in the tuneecu software so thats an option but i really don't feel comfortable with it yet to mess around.  

Andy

-Robert Pirsig

Bixxer Bob

If it is worse after you changed the TPS and resettting the TPS position didn't solve it, then it's one of three things:

a. Somehow, you reset the trims.  riding it will re-learn then in time.
b. You left a sensor or pipe off when you put it back together.
c. You have an air leak now that you didn't have before.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

about friggin time you showed up ................

:wave bob

Bixxer Bob

:lol:

Thanks!  What with broadband thats slower than dial-up, learning about 28mm gravity feed solid fuel heating systems, trying to work out when and when not the new building regs apply to listed buildings and trying to prevent the son-in-law blowing the house up (he lit the wood burner without first enabling the circulation pump - boiled the heat exchanger and damn near blew us all to hell) it's been busy.

I should be able to pop in a bit more in future if the telephone company ever get this damn broadband fixed.  I have a sync speed of 4.5mb but the IP profile is locked down to 135kbps and won't budge.

Sorry for the hijack....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Quote from: "mtrdrms"Ok so, I reset the tps using the tune ecu software and that fixed the high idle issue.  I have been driving it around and it really has not gotten any better as fas as the hesitation at constant throttle.  If I roll on the throttle it goes away and the bike pulls well.  If I am just cruising, especially at lower speeds, it hesitates and jerks around like crazy.  Any suggestions?  I am now able to work in the tuneecu software so thats an option but i really don't feel comfortable with it yet to mess around.  

Andy

OK need a few more details now.
When the TPS was replaced was the throttle body to head gasket replaced?
What year, mileage, service frequency, any mods like exhaust.
What map is installed, this is on TuneEcu on the maps page ECU INFO, should be a 5 figure number.

On the TEST page what is the Long Term Fuel Trim set to?

On the Diagnostics page what is the TPS voltage?

Has this problem just occured or has it developed?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

metalguru

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob":lol:

Thanks!  What with broadband thats slower than dial-up, learning about 28mm gravity feed solid fuel heating systems, trying to work out when and when not the new building regs apply to listed buildings and trying to prevent the son-in-law blowing the house up (he lit the wood burner without first enabling the circulation pump - boiled the heat exchanger and damn near blew us all to hell) it's been busy.

I should be able to pop in a bit more in future if the telephone company ever get this damn broadband fixed.  I have a sync speed of 4.5mb but the IP profile is locked down to 135kbps and won't budge.

Sorry for the hijack....

Hi BB
Good too see you back again,
Those systems can be testing but at least you had thermo syphon to fall back on so wood burner hopefully didn't get too stressed!!
Lots to be said for blow off valves.
No hijack at all good to see ya. :wave
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

All good points if you're trying to fix surging MG, but the clue for this one is in the original post:

Quote from: "mtrdrms"...  So I took it for a ride to see what that would be like and if it was snatchy before it is downright jerky now! ...

Somehow he made it worse so he needs to put that right first, then work on the surging  :wink:

I'll pop in again soon and see how you're getting on :lol: