News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

TuneBoy, TPS etc etc...

Started by NeilD, August 24, 2011, 11:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

I've spotted an 07 955i locally which I quite fancy...

..however I'm a bit concerned with all the threads on here involving laptops, downloading software etc etc...

this really is outside my comfort zone and was wondering how 'bad' this side of these bikes is.. do they need frequent 'tweeking' of the ECU/TPS (?)... or is it , and please dont be offened by this, just a case of some of you blokes like to tweek/tune/play with this kind of thing? I've never owned a FI bike, hence my concern..  

the bike has 22000 miles on it, so wondering what I may be getting myself into.. I've also spotted a '94 Daytona with similar mileage, and am now wondering if I may be better off with the low-tech option..  :?

NKL

In answer to your question no you don't, Most play with the ECU map etc because they can, with the free Tune ecu it is more available to the masses now rather than having to go to a dealer. Mine has done 28k now and other than the dealer putting the TOR tune on it I haven't had to do anything, I have chosen to do things, but that's different
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

NeilD

Thanks NKL thats reassuring... I often wonder what I'm doing 'wrong' with my T/Bird Sport as I read about people constantly pulling their carbs to bits and changing jets, airboxes etc whereas in 40000 miles mine have sufficed with a balance once a year, but still gets 55 mpg and pulls cleanly through to the redline..  :D

KuzzinKenny

Hey NeilD !! take it out for a test ride and that will be the decider  :lol: you'll ether like FI or hate it !! the bit i hated about mine was holdin throttle in a 30mph zone, thats when most get the surging effect !!

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

metalguru

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey NeilD !! take it out for a test ride and that will be the decider  :lol: you'll ether like FI or hate it !! the bit i hated about mine was holdin throttle in a 30mph zone, thats when most get the surging effect !!

have fun !!

KK

That is why we play cos we can, have eliminated the 30mph surge.

As KK rightly said ride it first, see if it is the correct bike for you, then if you like it, any little annoyances can be delt with.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

I was a bit concerned at first, having spent decades with Monoblocs, Concentrics and magnetos. However, it's actually much easier and quicker (as well as more productive) to work on the maps than it is to fart about with jets, needles, and bits of fag paper.

Mind you I still get that sort of excitement with the A10.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I'm not one for tinkering with the fuel map either for the same reason as you,and as I tend to operate at the end of the map  :roll:  getting it wrong will have dire conseqences,you want lots more out of the bike chuck the rear shock in the bin.

It's slightly more complicated as Triumph offer 2 tunes,one for the stock can and one for the open pipes,and folks use one with the other  :?

When I made the transfer from carbs to injection,it was only when I switched back when I realise the difference,with possibly the exception of the very last carbed R1's.

NKL

[/quote]

That is why we play cos we can, have eliminated the 30mph surge.

As KK rightly said ride it first, see if it is the correct bike for you, then if you like it, any little annoyances can be delt with.[/quote]

Not if the EU have their way
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

NeilD

well thanks for all that... bought one today anyway...  :D

cbxtc6

They made a 955 in 2007?  I thought it was a 1050?

Chris Canning

What I would say about the engine maps,ride the bike for a distance,at the very least a 100 miles to 'feel it',between 01 and 04 I had 4/5 maps put in,felt great riding off down the road,100 miles later drove me nuts,hence why I had the same one in from 04 till the end of 010,and while the latest one developes more power and it also vibrates more,but I'd do the 12 minute tune before you doing anything and then just get used to the bike.

NeilD

Yep its getting delivered next Friday, its MOT'd and has a couple of months tax so will hopefully put some miles on it and see how it feels..

07 reg, so I assume one of the last?

BBB1 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

Chris Canning

Looks good,must be one of the very last,and if you stumble across one, look for the old style rear brake lever,I put a new style one like yours on my old 01 thinking it looked more modern,god knows how many times my foot slipped off and went back to the old style eureka!!,oh and 15wt oil in the forks.

Timbox2

Looks like someones powder coated the swingarm then, looks OK
2016 Tiger Sport

NeilD

yeah, I wondered about the swingarm whether or not it was silver for all the 955i or not...