News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dies when I pull the clutch

Started by mhaserodt, August 29, 2011, 03:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaserodt

I have a 2000 Tiger with ~8k miles on it, and bought it back in May.  It's stock except for tires, and it has the off-road map.  Yesterday I was out riding and noticed that when coming to a stop it would die when I pulled in the clutch.  It was only when stopping, never when just changing gears.

After a little searching I'm thinking maybe an IACV issue, but I'm not certain.  I don't have any other problems, and it doesn't happen everytime.  When it does happen it just completely dies, no stumbling or anything.  It just quits and some of the dash lights come on, but not the engine light, and it starts right back up after it dies.  Otherwise I have no problems, no surging or rough idle or anything.

I also had read in the past about issues with the sidestand switch.  On the way home I put the side stand down enough to trigger it, and it dies in the same manner.  The difference with the problem I'm having is that I have no problems starting the bike.

So any other ideas of things to check?

haroldo_psf

I will share my experience with the same exact symptoms.

I bought a 2000 tiger 885i last August. It had 50K miles when I took ownership. Like you, whenever I pulled the clutch, she died.

The story is so long, but I will cut it short for you. In the end, I can't really say it was a once single thing that fixed the problem.

Without knowing for sure what it was, I replaced a bunch of things. these are them, in no partucular order:

- IACV motor
- IACV gasket
- TB gasket
- Throttle position sensor
- Crankshaft position sensor
- wrapped the TB hoses in electrical tape (in case there was a small not visible crack)

The things above made it 98% better. Before, it would die every time I pulled the clutch. Now, it may die once or twice a week, with daily riding.

Upon reading the ADVrider thread of those two girls who were given by Triumph brand new Tiger 800XC to ride to the Artic Circle and back, and they ended up at the dealer in Anchorage with BOTH bikes with the same issue: unexplained engine cutting out when they come to a stop....
The dealer, with the assistance of Triumph UK, could not figure out the issue while they were there, so they just kept riding the bikes as is...

Sounds familiar?

I seriously believe Triumph hasn't got fuel injection down right to this day...And our bikes may never fully function completely 100% without ever having the engine cut out.

Just my 2c.
2000 Tiger 885i

Patman1200

I had this problem and sorted it by adjusting the clutch cable. I found the clutch was dragging unless I pulled the lever back to the bar.
2001 Tiger 955i - Stock
1998 Bandit 1200 - Holeshot Stage 1 kit
2000 TTR 250 - Mud machine
1996 Bandit 400 vv - Screamer

peds

I had the same problem with an old SV650 (Sorry for swearing at you all, I did not mention the make!!! :D) I had - it was the clutch adjustment causing it to drag when warm......
"I\'d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle."

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel".