News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 1200 mergefest **all 1200 chat here

Started by Bixxer Bob, September 10, 2011, 11:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JTT

I guess I can see it both ways.  I can see those who would want this new 1200, heck if someone wants to give me one I'd gladly have it!  I have no desire for the big tires and sportbike front wheel personally. I like the ability to get off the beaten track, although admittedly I spend most of my time on the asphalt.  For me, personally I'd rather the compromise racetrack performance for gravel road abilities.  My ideal would be the 800XC with 50-70lbs off it's back.  Looks are really not that important to me...clearly as the owner of a 955i Tiger and a KLR  :oops:  I don't really need more than 100hp, but would like light weight and loads of suspench.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Which comic?

MCN

Chris Canning

Quote from: "JTT"I guess I can see it both ways.  I can see those who would want this new 1200, heck if someone wants to give me one I'd gladly have it!  I have no desire for the big tires and sportbike front wheel personally. I like the ability to get off the beaten track, although admittedly I spend most of my time on the asphalt.  For me, personally I'd rather the compromise racetrack performance for gravel road abilities.  My ideal would be the 800XC with 50-70lbs off it's back.  Looks are really not that important to me...clearly as the owner of a 955i Tiger and a KLR  :oops:  I don't really need more than 100hp, but would like light weight and loads of suspench.

As someone who gave up riding a road bike for the best part of 10 years to race offroad,I can understand the above,but who the hell wants to go offroading on a 130hp bike with bicycle tyres  :?  :D

JTT

Quote from: "Chris Canning"As someone who gave up riding a road bike for the best part of 10 years to race offroad,I can understand the above,but who the hell wants to go offroading on a 130hp bike with bicycle tyres  :?  :D

Exactly.  I don't even need 100hp.  I most definitely understand your point Chris.  Add to that what I am to understand is a very limited access to "offroad" and an abundance of good and fast asphalt, your needs may be quite different from mine.

In my part of the world, secondary roads are often so destroyed by frost and heavy trucks that they may SX tracks look like billiard tables (in fact dirt and gravel roads are often far smoother)...light weight, big wheels and lots of suspension make life much more pleasant  :wink:
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

Chris Canning

As the current owner of an XT660X and having ridden the Tenere,surely this has to be a better option.

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=1 ... =akrapovic

Mustang

Quote from: "Chris Canning"As the current owner of an XT660X and having ridden the Tenere,surely this has to be a better option.

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=1 ... =akrapovic
won't let us in without out your username and password ...............

Nick Calne

Quote from: "JTT"I guess I can see it both ways.  I can see those who would want this new 1200, heck if someone wants to give me one I'd gladly have it!  I have no desire for the big tires and sportbike front wheel personally. I like the ability to get off the beaten track, although admittedly I spend most of my time on the asphalt.  For me, personally I'd rather the compromise racetrack performance for gravel road abilities.  My ideal would be the 800XC with 50-70lbs off it's back.  Looks are really not that important to me...clearly as the owner of a 955i Tiger and a KLR  :oops:  I don't really need more than 100hp, but would like light weight and loads of suspench.

Exactly right. :thumbsup
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

Oh yea forgot about the joys of a don't join can't see website :oops:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"As someone who gave up riding a road bike for the best part of 10 years to race offroad,I can understand the above,but who the hell wants to go offroading on a 130hp bike with bicycle tyres  :?  :D

Ah yes, true,   but it's essential for the run to Starbucks don't y' know daaaling........ :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Ah yes, true,   but it's essential for the run to Starbucks don't y' know daaaling........ :wink:

:ImaPoser

Chris Canning

Timbox/Bixxer

There you go,you have the info :D

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... d-testing/

And for anyone else who dreams of 15 minutes of fame,the poor bugger who was in charge of the test mule photographed last year got the sack.

bosun

Having owned 1050 & 955 Tigers, I intend on getting a 1200. I have some questions for the learned gentlemen on here.

Am I allowed to buy this bike purely because I like it & want one, or do have to be a hardened "Adventurer" first?

Due to back problems I find I can't ride much more than a couple of hours without getting off for a stretch. Is that ok, or will the real "Adventurer" types look down their noses at me?

I normally mount my bike by swinging my right leg over it, placing my foot on the ground & my bum in the seat. Is this ok or is there a correct "Adventurer" way to do it?

My idea of an "Adventure" is going to France/Belgium/Germany with a few mates. we normally do 1500-2000 miles during our tour. Is that sufficient to justify owning an "Adventurer" bike or should I be targeting somewhere a bit more out in the wilds?

I normally wear my normal touring gear. Is that ok or must I have a whale foreskin lined, "Adventurer" Twat suit?

Can I not just buy this style of bike because, being larger than the average bloke, they are comfy, practical, have good luggage carrying capabilities, are superb on real roads, & are huge fun to ride? :D

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "bosun"Having owned 1050 & 955 Tigers, I intend on getting a 1200. I have some questions for the learned gentlemen on here.

Am I allowed to buy this bike purely because I like it & want one, or do have to be a hardened "Adventurer" first?

Due to back problems I find I can't ride much more than a couple of hours without getting off for a stretch. Is that ok, or will the real "Adventurer" types look down their noses at me?

I normally mount my bike by swinging my right leg over it, placing my foot on the ground & my bum in the seat. Is this ok or is there a correct "Adventurer" way to do it?

My idea of an "Adventure" is going to France/Belgium/Germany with a few mates. we normally do 1500-2000 miles during our tour. Is that sufficient to justify owning an "Adventurer" bike or should I be targeting somewhere a bit more out in the wilds?

I normally wear my normal touring gear. Is that ok or must I have a whale foreskin lined, "Adventurer" Twat suit?

Can I not just buy this style of bike because, being larger than the average bloke, they are comfy, practical, have good luggage carrying capabilities, are superb on real roads, & are huge fun to ride? :D

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

Great opening post mate, you have clearly captured the true esscence of being an adventure rider :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Quote from: "bosun"a whale foreskin lined, "Adventurer" Twat suit?

:ImaPoser  that made me laugh...

P.S.  My grandfather, for sometime the captain of a whaling ship, before moving into even less "PC" employment, used to have whale's foreskins made into golf bags for his mates.   So guessing at the size there may be some milage in bosun's idea.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?