News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Nuts Bolts and Outsourcing

Started by Rapier, September 22, 2011, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier

Opinion question here.....  :twisted:

On your Steamer(s) if you lost a bodypanel screw would you got to Home Depot (home inprovement of choice) and find a M5 or M6 (or whatever) and screw it in?
Or would you get a Triumph screw to replace it?

Assuming you went for the Triumph replacement, is there a better price than Bike Bandit?

Reason I am asking is I have found one Home Depot M6 replacement in the side panel, and one missing screw under the windscreen (middle one).

Additionaly is there any reason not to use Home Depot neoprene washers for the body panels?
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

the screws that triumph uses are a painted finish so they don't theoretically rust , they also have a shoulder on them to locate both the rubber washer and the fairing panel .
If you are only replacing a couple of the fairing bolts for the gas tank use the Triumph ones they are only a couple bucks each .

wait until you have a big enough order to justify the postage .

the m5 button heads for the front fairing panel would be good in stainless steel that you can source from anywhere
triumphs price for those is ridiculous at almost 5 bucks a pop

what ever you use though don't get plain steel finish ..they will rust and look like shit !

Rapier

I found these for the front fairing $.15 ea:
https://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2? ... O=26668817

But I really do not need 100, or at least I hope I never need 100 ~ 25 sure, just to be safe....

Hmmm maybe a few folks going in toghther...

...edit... With Shipping it is $.28 each... still do not need 100 though  :roll:
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

those are the ones that will rust like crazy
painted finish or stainless steel is what you need

Rapier

~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

these are a better deal

McMaster Carr
p/n# 92095a214
pak of 50  18-8 stainless M5x20mm long
$8.65
equals 17 cents apiece

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-button- ... ws/=e6bloi

Rapier

OK McMaster-Carr rocks
Shipping is what UPS charges based on weight, prices are very competetive.
And amazingly I limited myself to current projects (and a few planned ones  :shock: )
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Mustang

Quote from: "Rapier"OK McMaster-Carr rocks
Shipping is what UPS charges based on weight, prices are very competetive.
And amazingly I limited myself to current projects (and a few planned ones  :shock: )
It's like a toy store for big kids :D