News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How do I do a temporary switch to a single front caliper?

Started by 97tiger885, September 25, 2011, 01:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The front right caliper and the rear caliper are the same on the '97.  I have move the FR to the rear.  It seems fine although I haven't ridden it yet.

I tried blocking the end of the right hose with a solid bolt, crush washers and a lock nut.  That failed miserably.  Is there a way to seal the second hose at the end while allowing me to use the caliper on the second hose?

The other possibility is to temporarily convert to a one-into-one system from a one-into-two system from the reservoir.  I have no idea how the junction of the one-into-two works.  I see there are two individual hoses running off a single bolt under the front clamp.  Can I simply remove that bolt, remove the right side hose and put the same bolt back in?  Or would I need to replace that bolt with a different bolt and if so, is it an item found at any auto parts store?  

With any luck, these attempts will appease the hydraulic brake gods and my caliper will be returned safely eliminating the need for these changes.

Mustang

you need a single hose bolt to replace the double thats at the junction block now .

you have this right now

you need one of these

when you undid the brake lines from the caliper you need repaired there should be a single bolt you can use

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"you need a single hose bolt to replace the double thats at the junction block now .

you have this right now

you need one of these

when you undid the brake lines from the caliper you need repaired there should be a single bolt you can use

Most excellent.  That is what I discovered when I went to the schematics on BikerBandit.com.  The two-into-one banjo bolt is a M10x1.25x31 whereas the banjo bolt in the caliper is M10x1.25x22 (21?).   So, the width of the ring at the end of the hose must be 9 or 10mm.  I was hoping I could use the banjo bolt from the caliper.  Glad you could confirm.  Of course, that bolt is presently in the calipers at the shop and I won't be able to get it until Tuesday but at least I know it is feasible if I have to go that way.