News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My new 955i - Is this exhaust MOT safe?

Started by Goodwinsplace, September 27, 2011, 09:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodwinsplace

Hello,

Just got my Girly and she purrs like a dream.
She came with a nice sounding can, which I didn't pay that much attention to when I bought it.

Now taking a look it's got some strange wording around not conforming to EPA Noise, etc and a BS AU stamp rivited on.

Do you think I will get much trouble when going in for an MOT in the UK with this? They didn't give me the standard can when I bought it.

Cheers for any input.
My personal journey on two wheels: MotorbikeTest.info Blog

flaco

Welcome to the world of Tiger. Re. your can- I've got one of those. It was already on the bike when,like you, I bought it from a dealer. The only difference is, the PO had stuck a piece of tinfoil over the declaration, and mine doesn't have the rivetted tab. I don't know what that is.
Mine is also an 03 Tiger. It's passed three MOTs in my ownership, each time with an attached orange advisory notice informing me that the tester has noticed 'exh. markings covered', or 'exhaust noisy'. But they passed it all the same. Well, the exhaust is quite noisy, and pops quite a lot, but the bike goes like a rocket and I like it. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Tiger, and, going from my experience anyway, you shouldn't have a problem with the MOT.
You've got a nice-looking bike there.
All the best
Flaco
kernow bys vyken

Goodwinsplace

Thanks Flaco,
I will probably ask the question about the exhaust before handing the bike in for the mot. If they think it will be a fail I will just ride to the next bike mot station and ask again!!

Was thinking of these Triumph exhaust badges, I wouldn't need two but they only sell them in a pair on eBay.
Just don't know if it's going to make it worse by trying to cover it?

rf9rider

I just mot`ed the wifes Fazer a few weeks ago before we sold it, it had an after market can on, the tester said that from now on, all bikes that don`t have the original cans on will get an advisory for it.

NKL

Its down to the MOT testers discretion if its too noisy or not.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

ChazzyB

That rivetted plate has been added. I suspect it's a TOR (Triumph Off-Road) pipe and underneath that plate will be the words "Not for road use". Well, that's what it says on mine.  :oops:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

jp7rgv

Quote from: "ChazzyB"That rivetted plate has been added. I suspect it's a TOR (Triumph Off-Road) pipe and underneath that plate will be the words "Not for road use". Well, that's what it says on mine.  :oops:

+1 :iagree

TOR exhaust, check the number A9601032

daveb

Shw Mae goodwinsplace, nice to see another S.Wales member whats your location.

nice tiger  :D

Goodwinsplace

@Daveb - I live in Barry and work in Cardiff soon Treforest.
Any local recommendations on garages (especially ones which like exhausts like mine), butty vans, etc.
I'm out probably on Saturday morning, my friend is picking up his new Ducati Multistrada.

@jp7rgv and ChazzyB - I agree, the end of the writing has been hammered out, and not very well at that. Hence my thinking on a Triumph tag to cover the lot.

The tags/badges on ebay are 15cm x 4cm which might just cover the lot. Will measure it all up before ordering.

@NKL and rf9rider - Thanks for the heads up, I might just test the water before committing to the MOT.

ChazzyB

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Neither of the places I use look at the exhaust system. Actually, for my Tiger MOT I use the local Triumph dealer from whom I bought the TOR pipe. Their take: it's a Triumph exhaust... ;-)
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

daveb

yep, just check with the local station first, but i am sure someone posted up a place on the welshbikers forum the other day.

a few rave about Terry's on the A470, never been there as M & P's is only about 3 miles away.

Downs cafe in cowbridge does a nice coffee, a good mix of machines and friendly riders.

PeteH

Quote from: "ChazzyB"That rivetted plate has been added. I suspect it's a TOR (Triumph Off-Road) pipe and underneath that plate will be the words "Not for road use". Well, that's what it says on mine.  :oops:

Mine has the stamp on the connecting pipe and not actually on the can itself, but whats with all the federal law stuff??? is the can an import??
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

ChazzyB

Quote from: "PeteH"Mine has the stamp on the connecting pipe and not actually on the can itself, but whats with all the federal law stuff??? is the can an import??

That can and statements are exactly as mine, except mine doesn't have the 'plate', where mine has the naughty words. My can came straight from a UK Triumph dealer, the day after I ordered it. The same dealer, from memory, you got your centre stand from. :lol:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Reubs

Didnt have a problem with mine when it was MOT'd...mind you I did cover the offending text with some nice aluminium tape...( as advised on here)... :D

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Reubs"Didnt have a problem with mine when it was MOT'd...mind you I did cover the offending text with some nice aluminium tape...( as advised on here)... :D

A mate of mine polished out "Not" on his TOR pipe...  :wink:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S