News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ferries

Started by Chris Canning, December 15, 2004, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

For any of you Brits looking to catch a ferry from Portsmouth next year,try and do a little home work,with the very possible demise of the P+O Portsmouth Le-Harve route things look like they could get very complicated.

I go with friends to the Le-Mans 24 hour bike race in april,the ferry times suite us but even the guy at the booking office couldn't comfirm as to if or maybe there be a take over of the route!!!.

Chris

I've heard that "Brittany" are going to take over or buy the ferries and continue the Le Havre route. If not, then you've always got the Caen or Cherborg routes to choose from.

ChrisN

Cheers Chris.

That's right on my 2005 Alicante run!

If anyone gets official confirmation of a change to this ferry operation, please post it on this thread.
Chris

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

Well i spoke to P+O yesterday and they are takeing bookings for next summer!!! they told me that if they are taken over the Brittany will honour them!!!,the problem being if you've booked with P+O and they shut up shop,Brittany sure as hell ain't going to bump their passengers of for you around either of the 24 hour races or the GP,or if your just doing your summer hols anywhere those dates.

I also spoke to Brittany and was told that if they take over P+O then there ain't going to be a Portsmouth Le-Harve route!!! simple as that,the only saveing grace the P+O guy reckons it won't be sorted by april so that might just get me out of jail for Le-Mans,what is such a shame is Le-Harve is such a doddle to get of and be on your way,were the other ports your fannying about for 45 minutes before you get onto some serious roads and cover some distance.

Chris

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Hi Gents

,what is such a shame is Le-Harve is such a doddle to get of and be on your way,were the other ports your fannying about for 45 minutes before you get onto some serious roads and cover some distance.

Chris

I agree. I used it often on a Friday evening crossing. I could do a days work on the Friday. Have some dinner at home and cruise to Portsmouth in time for the 2230 sailing. In the Pyrenees Saturday evening. Perrrfect.

ChrisN

An article in the travel press has reported:

"the Monopololies Commision decision concerning Brittany's take-over of the Portsmouth to Le Havre ferry is not now expected until May 2005. In the meantime P&O will continue to operate this route. If permission is granted, the transfer to Brittany will not happen until October because it would be impractical to make it in May due to the peak season"
Chris

Chris Canning

Hi Chris

Got the same story when i booked the ferry for Le-Mans in April three weeks ago,so went ahead and did it.

Chris

tigerjohn

Thought I'd found a bargain with Bike magazine's 30% discount on the P & O Portsmouth - Cherbourg route, but then it all turned sour........ . First the 30% was nothing like it . ...with a standard early booking discount anyway, it worked out at about 14%. A bit aggrieved, I booked it and paid  in full. Two weeks later, I got a letter to say P & O had axed the Cherbourg route and did I want to transfer to Le Havre? I said 'PO' to P & O and took the refund option.

Now booked with Brittany ferries to Caen and even have £20 left over from the original P & O fare......happy now!

Chris Canning

Strangely enough the reason why i gave the girl on the phone such a hard time about if and when P+O were going tits up was that the last thing i wanted was the  Portsmouth Caen route cuz the times weren't as good and  Le- Harve shit loads better for getting out.

Chris

Bifffa

I booked up for a July trip travelling Portsmouth - Bilbao returning Le Harve - Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago.

The price variation was huge between websites.

It was about £515 through P&O.com droping to about £480 with the MCN code number (30% discount my arse) and the same ferries/cabins cost £387 through www.motorsporttravel.co.uk

no prizes for guessing which company I used

Bif

ridin gaijin

Hmmm...a "ferry"...is that something you get when your government won't use federal tax money to build a 4-lane suspension bridge for your Hummers?  :D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

ChrisN

Thanks Biffa,

I just obtained a quote for the Portsmouth/Le Havre return in June/July from your link. The price is less than half what the ferry company is quoting ? Sounds too good to be true, so I spoke to the owner of Motor Sport Travel who confirmed the online price and that P&O will not be handing over to Brittany until September at the earliest.

I'm gonna finalise my dates and get it booked.

Thanks again.
Chris

Chris Canning

Hi Biffa

Normally always try to come home a different route the worlds to bigger place to come back the same  !!!!,although we  go the other way(L/H-Bibao/Santander) and after doing the Bilbao trip twice we'll always go for the Brittainy boat from Santander it's much better,if you've done it before you'll already know!! if you haven't pray for a smooth crossing we've had to millpond cruises and a nightmare!!!

Chris