News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dangerous Cell Phones

Started by Colonel Nikolai, September 28, 2011, 04:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I want to install this on my bike:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/

A self-tuning, portable, multi-band RF jammer.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Tigertriple

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I want to install this on my bike:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/

A self-tuning, portable, multi-band RF jammer.

Watching to much Burn Notice  :lol: Though I can see the advantages  :D
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

Rapier

But did you think of this aspect...
SUV driver is going down the highway chatting with their BFF. Suddenly no signal  :shock: they look down, hit their phone, 'why wont this stupid thing work' they cry in frustration. SUV driver now paying less attention than normal they swerve into the motorcycle carrying the jammer.  :BangHead

YMMV
~Jeff~
2005 F650 CS
1996 Triumph Tiger
NC - USA

Colonel Nikolai

Good point. Maybe if it extended to 100 feet instead of 20.

rybes

thatcould be fun in a pub :lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rainycoastguy

Just google cell phone jammers...about $20 out of Hong Kong inc. delivery and they work a treat!

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "rainycoastguy"Just google cell phone jammers...about $20 out of Hong Kong inc. delivery and they work a treat!

They must be illegal, though, right?

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

rainycoastguy

So who's gonna know unless you flash it around?

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "rainycoastguy"So who's gonna know unless you flash it around?

There is that, but there's also the question of whether it could interfere with police, fire and emergency bands out there.

I wouldn't want to end up responsible for causing injury or death because I interfered with one of those three organizations' communications trying to do their jobs.

rainycoastguy

Totally different RF.  Cell phones are banned from use while driving over here unless hands free, still, the brain shuts off anyhow.  I like it when I'm on a ferry or anywhere public.  I don't have to listen to a continuous rabbiting of inane conversations shouted about without any consideration to anyone within earshot.  Remember when phone conversations were private affairs?

Colonel Nikolai

rainycoastguy, I believe the Wave Bubble design is multi-band and if any other RF jammers out there are multi-band then I'd think this could still spell trouble.

But you're right, all the work that has been done over the years to improve motorcycle safety: better geometry, better brakes, better suspension, better tires; all seems to be cancelled out by people needing to talk to people far away, in front of everyone they don't want to talk to. Seems crazy, doesn't it?

Nick Calne

If there is one invention I think has made life significantly worse in the last 20 years it is the mobile phone.  If you could get a jammer that, say, covered the UK, it would be much appreciated.   :lol:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?