News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Twin headlights draining battery whilst running!!

Started by Champy, October 21, 2011, 09:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champy

Just about had it up to as far as it will go....: :evil:

Had stator and RR fail recently on 2002 955i. Replaced both with parts from BBBikeshop.co.uk (excellent prices and support). Found battery voltage quite low when running, and down to 12.02v with lights on at tick over. Suspected RR and supplier sent new one - smaller but with a back plate and it doesn't get as hot! :8:
Went out on a 40 mile run, stopped at a petrol station and battery flat as a pancake. :twisted:
Got home and modified the circuit as per Sasquatch recommendations. Wonderful! 14+ volts going in at T/O with nothing switched on. :D:
Went for a run. 40 miles stopped for lunch, re-started no problem. Another 30 miles and the battery flat again! :cry:
Got home and metered the battery at T/O and at 3000rpm.
Nothing on - fine 14v+
Side lights on - fine 13.7v
Heated grips on - fine 13.2v
Twin headlights on - Oh dear, down to 12.2v!! :cry:

My question: Could faulty relays (burnt diodes) be causing this, or is it something more sinister? Battery does not discharge if left in garage switched off (even after a month).

NB Bike has been fine up to the RR and Stator change.
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

Chris Canning

Were did you get the relays from,there are threads on here were folk went the cheap skate route and had the same problem.

Champy

I had a 2003 955i where I added relays and had no issues. Unfortunately an idiot made a sudden right turn and wrote the bike off.

I bought a 2002 to replace it and the relays were already fitted. I have read the topics regarding using the correct relays with diodes, and that is what I am hoping the problem is, but as the bike had been fine previously, I thought I'd ask before I started chasing my tail!

Sin_Tiger

Just a suggestion, try unplugging the connectors at the back of the lamps, the 3 pronged U shaped one and see what the reading is.

How are you isolating the headlights? Is it a retro fitted switch or original for your region (you haven't said where you are in your profile) could be a short to earth in the switch.

Whatever it is has probably caused the failure of you RR & stator in the first place.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

I don't think it's the headlights or relays. Fitting the wrong relays lets the battery discharge when everything's switched off in theory (and it's nothing to do with diodes).

I suppose it's conceivable that both main and dip beams are on for some reason though.....

It sounds more as though the battery isn't charging properly - even though you've already changed the usual culprits. Could you have a bad connection at the main fuse or elsewhere?.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Oddly enough recently  bought a RR just in case  :roll:

TigerTrax

You may have a faulty light switch.

Open it up.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Champy

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
The 2002 has a light switch (discontinued by 2003 model) on the RH side of the h/bar - this will be checked!

I have 2 good batteries, so I am fairly sure it is not a battery issue, and having seen the huge drop at the battery when headlights are switched on, I believe this is where the problem lies.

So, with trusty multi-meter, various screwdrivers and sundry tools, I shall go forth and search for the wayward part(s).

Cheers

Ian

KuzzinKenny

Hey Champy !! have ya checked this out ??...............

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10206

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

HockleyBoy

Check your reg rec when the bike is hot, I say this because I had a similar problem a while back, bike charged fine when cold so everything was fine when the garage checked it out for me. But after a ride it would refuse to restart as the battery kept going flat. Eventually they found the problem was the reg rec when the bike heated up.

In the end a new reg rec from Electrexworld and the Sasquatch fix sorted the problem out for me.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

HB has a point. I am reliably informed by a man that regularly fixes them, that quite a few makes larger engined models had a bad year with RR's in 2000+ with the internal connections overheating and the resistances increasing dramatically when the units got hot, an everyday occurance here. He found this out by hacking one apart and heating it.

It's a possibility given that quite a few Triumph parts are Japan sourced.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Champy

Thank you KuzzinKenny! I checked out the readings at each step, and they all conformed - but only with one headlight lit up (didn't matter which one).
Checked light switch - all OK.
As soon as I have two headlights operational, the voltage drops from 13.5 to 12.4 - amazing.
Decided to run with one dip beam headlight, and two high beam headlights for the interim.
I will check readings when all is hot, but at the moment it runs well without the discharging issues.

Thanks to everyone who has chipped in. What a great site!

Chris Canning

I presume you've taken a relay out,was/is it coshe Triumph?

Champy

The relay has no manufacturers markings at all!

Just a wiring diagram, and REL 1B, DC12V 30A, LP0904.

Unfortunately, just checked the readings when everything nice and hot, and voltage levels have dropped to 12.5 and below....

Thinking the regulator I bought is crap. May shell out for a MOSFET type now...

Back to the drawing board. Again.