News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Spoiled For Choice

Started by Chris Canning, November 09, 2011, 09:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

While my 955 is hardly on it's last legs,for some time I've varied between buying a mint low miles 955 and moth balling till I need it to wondering how good or bad this new Tiger 1200 will be,I see not only Kawasaki have an option so do Honda and we've yet to see KTM's SMT1200 offering so really is happy days on the choice front.  :D

Bixxer Bob

Yup, I was taken aback when I saw the Kwack in this weeks comic. Not a serious threat to BMW or Triumph I think but sure will give the Multistrudle something to think about (similar styling and modus operandi but without the electrickery and lower price).  And I can just imagine the collective cries of "Bugger" at Honda when you look at the price of a Crossdresser... :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I think that Kawasaki will not only be a threat but a major threat,the masses out there who are not happy with a niche manafacturer like Triumph or BMW and don't want to pay top dollar will certainley have a look,knowing how Jap stuff can be cut price after a couple of years a far cheaper option and no doubt just as effective,and it'll be fast!!

It's taken years for other manafacture's to get on the BM GS sales band wagon and now they are coming out of the woodwork with all sorts of options,while I was hardly about to replace the old 955,I was certainley taking more than a keen interest in Triumph's 1200,with with new options turning up every week,I'm in less of a rush than I was just a couple of weeks ago,thinking more reclining chair than starting blocks  :lol:

Nick Calne

You forgot to mention the Moto Guzzi Stelvio, the Moto morini granpasso and the forthcoming new big Vstrom too!  Choice? yeah, there is a choice or two!

Good luck choosing. :D
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

I nearly bought a Guzzi simply because the wife loved the pillion comfort. In the end I stopped myself because I couldn't shake the worry that every time I glanced back as I closed the garage door I'd think "God you're ugly".

I'm happy to differ on the threat from Kawasaki Chris. You have years in the trade over my none but I still don't think there's an overlap.  Folks buy Triumph or BMWs for the badge, not because they are the best bikes in the world.. I'm not sure that loyalty exists with Jap make but hey ho :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I nearly bought a Guzzi simply because the wife loved the pillion comfort. In the end I stopped myself because I couldn't shake the worry that every time I glanced back as I closed the garage door I'd think "God you're ugly".

I'm happy to differ on the threat from Kawasaki Chris. You have years in the trade over my none but I still don't think there's an overlap.  Folks buy Triumph or BMWs for the badge, not because they are the best bikes in the world.. I'm not sure that loyalty exists with Jap make but hey ho :lol:

Have a look at how many smaller Versys there are out there,a straight upgrade for a lot customers who don't have to take a financial kicking going away from the marque,with an absolute bullit proof engine,as always it's the price,how much cheaper will it be??

JTT

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I nearly bought a Guzzi simply because the wife loved the pillion comfort. In the end I stopped myself because I couldn't shake the worry that every time I glanced back as I closed the garage door I'd think "God you're ugly".

The new big Versys makes the Guzzi look like an Italian supermodel!  What it should have going for it though is solid reliability, a far superior dealer network (at least in this part of the world) and low price.  It's what makes the present Versys so attractive, along with the VStrom.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

blacktiger

IMO the choice is between pure road bikes like the Muttley, Versys, and Crossdresser and the bikes that can cope with a little dirt like the GS, Explorer and Guzzi. So already there's a market split within the "adventure" bike bracket. All depends what sort of adventure you're going to be doing.

For me, none of the above gets anywhere near the capabilities of the Tiger800XC when the tarmac ends. And THAT's the type of adventure I want.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

I'd be intrigued to talk to the marketing dept at Triumph.the steamer and the Girly were the same kind of bike,Triumph then ploughed their own furrow with the 1050,which the Multi/Versys/and Various Honda's will chase,hardly suprising as Triumph have done very nicely with the 1050,the owners don't shout as load as the 955 lot,but they have certainley had their hands in their pockets and bought a lot of e'm

Triumph have now decided to change tack again and give us a GS copy with a triple engine and a 19" front wheel,so the 1050 lot will have a mighty shock when they have that introduction,all of which is a minor detail because what it's all about is selling units,nothing more nothing less,and of course what kind of chunk of the GS market they will take which everyone is after,and in retalition BM have a watercooled GS coming,all of which is more choice for the consumer  :)