News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Slow speed engine running

Started by piggydude, December 22, 2004, 10:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piggydude

I'm still getting used to my Tiger, and have a question regarding slow road speed riding.

Bearing mind I've just come from a Honda Hornet which is a carburetted four cylinder machine and very smooth, I'm finding the Tiger a bit 'lumpy' at town riding speeds. It feels a bit like it's 'hunting' at 2-300 rpm which results in a slightly jerky ride.

Now, this is both the first fuel injected and three cylinder bike I've owned so this may be completely normal, but I thought I'd check. I know it took me a while to re-learn how to ride a four cylinder bike after my previous BMW, and it may be the case here.

I may take it back to the dealer to get the ECU checked over just in case.

Cheers

Jim

Badger

I suffer a bit from this too although it is a bit better since fitting a race can and a new tune. I believe it can be virtually eliminated by fitting oxygen sensor bypass plugs. Hopefully someone who really knows will be along with an answer soon.
Growing Old Disgracefully

PaulBerg

You can eliminate this by fitting an Oxygen Sensor bypass from Dynojet (see www.dynojet.co.uk/pc/accessories.html) for about £16. You can get one from most Dynoject stockists such as PDQ.

The problem cause: the oxygen sensor in the exhaust header feeds into the ECU unit, which is programmed to achieve a particular fuel/air ratio by leaning out the fuel injection at anything over 2500 rpm and any throttle position less then 30% full open. This is done deliberately by Triumph to pass emissions tests.

Why do some Triumphs exhibit the rough running effect and not others ? I am told it is because the oxygen sensors vary in output by +/- 15%, so the leaning out can be excessive. Quite a lot of '05 Tigers are affected by out-of-spec sensors. You could just unplug the oxygen sensor but then your engine management warning light will be ON permanently.

Dynojet supply an oxygen sensor bypass plug-in for lots of bikes which fools the ECU into thinking the air/fuel ratio is perfect and stops trying to lean the mixture. There is one for Triumph 9551 engines and it plugs straight into the wiring harness on the left side just under the tank.

You don't need to buy a Dynojet PowerCommander to get the results.

See www.dynojet.co.uk/pc/index.html for the part numbers for different bikes.

If you look on the TriumphRat.net forum you will see that a lot of people have fitted this and got the desired results. I have done 3,000 miles with no negative effects.

Paul

Badger

Thanks for the info Paul. I've just ordered one from PDQ.

Chris Canning

I've also found the 'Tunes' vary drasticaly the one's that lean the motor out give lots of mpg and pickup very well with little hunting low down also give the most vibes at high speed.

Chris

piggydude

Thanks for the info. How easy/difficult is this fit?

I spoke to my supplying dealer today about the problem and he said that it was more an 'internet' problem than anything, meaning that all Triumph triples are like it and that the Tiger users are perhaps more internet friendly than other Triumph riders and share their experiences in that way (his idea, not mine). Anyway, he's going to check that the latest engine map is in place on my Tiger, and I'm going to try and get him to fit one of these oxygen thingies while he's at it. I'm prepared to buy it but hope he will fit it for nothing.

I'm useless at dealing with dealers in this way, so wish me luck, I'm going in...

Cheers

Jim

Chris Canning

Hi Paul

I notice you said without any negative results!!! what about your own personel observations!!.

Chris

pauljones1227

That's very unusual for a dealer to say its "One of those Triumph Tiger things" and blame the internet !!!!!

Sounds very familiar to me !

PaulBerg

""Without any negative results " means fixiing  the problems without introducing any new features.

My own personal observation is that the 'kicking' vibration and cut-outs at low speed was sufficient to neutralise all the positive aspects of the bike. Now it runs like it should and is an ideal bike for me.

Paul

PS: if the plug-in point isn't accesible under the tank, you may need to lify the tank ti get at it. I just got my deaker to fit it for me. They were happy to do so.

Badger

I've just fitted my O2 bypass plug and it does make a significant improvement. I did not suffer with some of the problems I've heard about but still had some shunting at lower revs. After a quick run this afternoon I am pleased to say it feels much better. This is a must do mod and for less than £20.

PaulBerg

Good stuff.....go and enjoy

Paul

piggydude

As a picture paints a thousand words (supposedly) does anybody have a piccy of where the O2 bypass thing fits? I would really like to do the mod, but I'll have to do it myself as my dealer refuses to do it :cry: Is it difficult to get to?

Thanks

Jim

Badger

Quote from: "piggydude"As a picture paints a thousand words (supposedly) does anybody have a piccy of where the O2 bypass thing fits? I would really like to do the mod, but I'll have to do it myself as my dealer refuses to do it :cry: Is it difficult to get to?

Thanks

Jim

It is a bit of a bitch to get to and you really need a helper. I removed the seats, battery, battery box and both plastic trims holding front indicators. Then undo front and rear fuel tank bolts. I then lifted the rear of the tank and propped it up using a bit of wood. The wife then lifted and held up the front of the tank while I un did the plug, a bitch in itself, and fitted the bypass plug. Don't forget to cable tie the original plug into the harness for safe keeping. Then re-assemble in the reverse order. You can get to the plug under the left side of the fuel tank. Just follow the wire from the O2 sensor on the exhaust header. You will need Allen keys and Torx sockets to do the job. Have fun.  :D

davensocal

OK, I have a question....  

I have a '00 885i.  I have a surging issue, and I have been following this thread regarding the O2 sensor.  I went ahead and ordered the O2 eliminator for my bike as it's symptoms match perfectly.

The questions I have is...   Where is the O2 sensor?  The exhaust is exposed on this bike from the cylinder to the silencer, and I don't see a sensor anywhere on it.  Am I missing something here?  

I recently bought this bike used in Calif, and as far as I know it was originally sold in Calif.  It should have an O2 sensor!

Thanks!

Dave.