News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine out???

Started by Champy, November 17, 2011, 07:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champy

2002 Black Tiger 955i.

Yesterday, the gearbox played up and seemed to slip into a false neutral, then up a gear, then back down to where it started, all without me touching the gear lever!

After that, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were clanking every now and then (not regularly), 4th was better whilst 5th was just awful - clanking and rattling around and I could feel the vibrations in the footpegs. 6th seemed to be fine.

Acceleration (load) in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th was OK and 6th no problem at all, but 5th didn't like it at all.

Getting home, I hoisted the bike onto a paddock stand and started the engine. Engaging each gear, it sounded and lokked as if the final drive sprocket (and chain) were dancing up and down. Again, 6th was fine.

My question:
Can I drop the lower crankcase without removing the engine from the bike?
If I could, would that be just a pain, and removal of the engine make life easier?
If I remove lower crankcase cover, what bed of nettles am I going to fall into??? Re-timing cams; special tools etc., etc.???

Any advice gratefully received.    :roll:
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

Timbox2

Pretty sure about the only thing you can get to with engine in frame is the gearchange shaft, after clutch removal that is. Anything else requires engine out to split crankcase.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Tims right,your going to have to do some number crunching, would it be better to buy another motor instead of repairing the box.

It's a shame if you lived up here,I could get the job done pretty dam cheap in comparison to were you live,but you'd still need secondhand parts to make it viable.

Champy

OK. Thanks people.

One more question:

Is the '02 955i gearbox the same as an '05 955i?

I don't think the engine changed between these years, but I have been known to be wrong. Once.

Chris Canning

Catch 22,the motor def changed because the water outlet on the block was moved from the side to around the back,Triumph tinkered with the gearbox as my bad memory tell's me,enough not to swap bits over?? I doubt it.

Your problem is the reason i attempted to buy another motor a few weeks back( see engine thread) just in case,if you can get parts for £150/200 then you have a chance of a cheap repair,after that a secondhand engine looks a better financial option.

Champy

Got just the shafts, gears, selector shaft and selector forks plus gear change shaft for £140. Don't need casings etc., and hopefully I can just use bits to sort problem.
Can't see Triumph making big changes to these bits.
But of course I will be wrong!

Chris Canning

Only one way to find out :roll: ,at some time I've got to change the gear shaft on mine it got bent when I binned it last year,but untill it leaks or goes kaput  :lol:

Champy

Hey, I'll send you one of mine (as I will have 2!) when you want it...
Keep in touch.

KuzzinKenny

:shock: i wouldn't jump right in !! there's no chance the chains too slack and its skippin teeth ?? or the drive sprockets worn and hooked ?? or the chains got seized links ?? or the rear wheels out of line ??   :shock:

just my thoughts !!

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Champy"Hey, I'll send you one of mine (as I will have 2!) when you want it...
Keep in touch.

When your done,let me know.

PeteH

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny":shock: i wouldn't jump right in !! there's no chance the chains too slack and its skippin teeth ?? or the drive sprockets worn and hooked ?? or the chains got seized links ?? or the rear wheels out of line ??   :shock:

Ditto that...If the bikes on a paddock stand then the suspention will be compressed.. the chain will bouce around a bit but not as much as having the bike on its center stand with the shock travel at max..also which sprocket is moving..wheel or gearbox?
Check for tightness of both and also check the cush drive rubbers, oh, check the chain tention also, mines around 3/4" of play with me sitting on the bike.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Champy

There are noises and 'clunks' coming from the gearbox.
1st to 4th are not too bad 4th being better.
5th is a nightmare whilst 6th is perfect.
This leads me to suspect that it isn't the chain and the teeth look good on both sprockets.
Interestingly, if you rotate the wheel backwards in neutral (engine off) it goes a little way and then locks up at the gearbox...
Parts will be arriving today, but I will do final checks on everything you guys have suggested because I REALLY do not want to strip the engine!!

Chris Canning

I'm informed today,engine out,sump off,clutch casing and clutch out and you can then take the gearbox out.

Champy

managed to download a workshop manual ready to start the strip next week. Need to get gaskets etc. :cry:

Book says you need to remove Sump, Engine covers, Starter drive, Clutch and Oil pump drive!

Doesn't mention alternator stator however.... :?

metalguru

Knew it was here somewhere, have a look at this it may shed some light on what has happened. Different gears but similar problem.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=#63334
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.