News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly exhaust on a Steamer?

Started by theclowncrusty, November 22, 2011, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theclowncrusty

Hi, as the thread title says, has anyone tried fitting a set of Girly headers and link pipe/can onto a Steamer? Just a thought as another way of getting a 3 into 1 exhaust system.
Crusty :?

Mustang

search for "Girly exhaust" in the steamer forum

there were other threads too .............

fishnbiker

I went this route some 4 years ago after some close measurements. Needed mods included grinding header clamps from welded to loose fitting (re-align mount studs) adding 1/4" to the LHS header, 1/2" to the middle & 3/4" downpipe length (to align header with muffler though newly fabricated mid pipe while missing the front right corner of the oil pan).

New mid pipe fabricate after new muffler was located exactly where wanted. Made by MIDAS, header & pipes ceramic coated black. New Titanium can from a GSXR off Ebay for $50.

Definitely not for the buy & bolt on mechanic, but, OHHH such a sweet note. Saved about 8kg weight also.

Photo shows the first summer with only heatproof paint.

Finding an aftermarket or other model pipe like Rocinante would be easier. Daytona seems to be the one to look for.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

theclowncrusty

Hi guys, thanks as usual for the replies, more food for thought for me in the garage over the winter then? LOL
Crusty :lol:

theclowncrusty

Hi guys, thanks as usual for the replies, more food for thought for me in the garage over the winter then? LOL Just another thought? Is the 885 injection engine from the first generation "Girly" the same as the Steamer, just with fuel injection added? If so a set of headers off one of those should fit without too much farkleing.
I dont mind modding the sump guard, but dont feel confident enough with my welding skills to start messing with down pipes and such.
Crusty :lol:

Mustang

Quote from: "theclowncrusty"................Is the 885 injection engine from the first generation "Girly" the same as the Steamer, just with fuel injection added? If so a set of headers off one of those should fit .............

nope

harre

The headers from the t595 Daytona and the t509 Speed Triple bolt right on. Plenty on them on eBay. I have the Speed Triple headers and also a Speed Triple carbon race can from Triumph that I will fit when I get time. However, the silencer is not high mount, so if you into that you will have to find another silencer or extend the link pipe. The headers will fit under the sump guard after some swearing and tool throwing.

Nick Calne

Just bought a t595 set and will let everyone know how I get on with fitting them.

As a little aside t595 headers are about £50 on ebay.  Steamer ones about £175 on average. Hmmmmm.....
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

theclowncrusty

Will watch this space with interest.....
Crusty

Nick Calne

OK.  I have discovered that t595 ones have a different shape header to block connection than steamer ones.  So no good.

The t595 ones are kind of square shaped with rounded corners, not circular.

No worries for me I'll keep them as spares for my daytona.

Harre, if yours are the same how did you get it to work?

harre

nickcalne, I'm sorry I've mislead you. I wish I could make it up to you somehow. I now see that the t595 Daytona headers look different from the t509 ones. I'll post some pictures of my downpipes. On the eBay picture you can see that the header to block connection is similar to the Steamer type. The breaker said that mine was from a Daytona, but Google picture search shows that what I have must have been from a t509 Speed Triple. I tried the fit over two years ago and it worked fine, but I remember that there was a leak presumably due to old exhaust gaskets. I didn't bother about that at the time because I was just testing. I now have a t509 carbon exhaust that I will try on after the winter (I have no garage to work in, that's on second place in my wish list, first place is a job). I also remember that there was little space left under the sump guard but it should work.

Nick Calne

Harre, really not a problem .... one of my other bikes is a t955 (same as t595) daytona.  It's now a spare set for that bike.

I'll try and find some t509 ones next....  Thanks for posting the pictures up btw, very helpful.

N

Nick Calne

Quote from: "harre"(I have no garage to work in, that's on second place in my wish list, first place is a job).

No job btw? Hope you find something soon.

harre

My job will finish in April, so I'll be free for work on my Steamer. Currently  I'm a post doc researcher in Norway Spruce developmental genetics. To get funding for my own research projects I need more publications, so my future in this field depends on how well my experiments go. It's a risky business, but fun. I should get a place where I do both lab work and rebuild the Steamer. "Harres Genetic and Motorcycle rebuilds". Just kidding...

Nick Calne

Surely you got enough spruce trees in Scandinavia? :lol:

Hope you find something soon.  I have a few friends who are academics and I'm always shocked how vulnerable / transitory their jobs are.  

OK the exhaust search goes on....  who wants to bet this one fits?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350512574857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661#ht_500wt_949