News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Exhaust leaks and water pump leaks

Started by 97tiger885, December 05, 2011, 08:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I am still waiting for the master cylinder rebuild kit for the clutch.  The oil pressure gauge seems to be working fine although I suspect the life of this gauge will be short.

While installing the gauge, I noticed the m/c was leaking exhaust where the header pipes meet the crossover pipes.  The service manual says 22Nm for that exhaust bolt.  I tightened the two bolts until the leaks stopped...way more than 22Nm.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I figure if worse comes to worse I will remove the pipes, cut off the tabs for the mounting bolt and go to an exhaust clamp for this connection.

A more serious problem is the water pump.  I am leaking a small amount of coolant from the bottom of the water pump.   I have no experience with water pumps. The service manual doesn't show an exploded diagram of the pump.   It looks like the mounting bolts are used for two things, mounting the pump and holding the front cover on.

I have two questions:

First,  my pump has three (3) mounting bolts whereas the BB schematic shows only two (2).  I want to be sure to get the right seal/gasket for the front cover.  I was assuming there was a gasket with the bolts mounted through it, but it looks as if the cover uses an O-ring which is unaffected by the mounting bolts.    Is that the case? I don't want to remove/open the pump until I have the parts in hand to repair it.

Second, should I order three seals?...4: O RING, WTR PMP/WATER PIPE SL,... 48: 'O' RING WATER PUMP and 63: SEAL, WATER PUMP?   It is 63 which is failing but should I replace the other two while the pump is off?  And would the 0-rings/seals be available from a local company such as a plumbing supply or an auto supply place?

sloburban

What's up neighbor  :roll:

These bikes are more fun to ride than wrench on huh?  :lol:

I have some coolant leaking also but I haven't looked at it yet.

Mustang

Jon
first off the third short bolt is a drain bolt / cover bolt
the two BB shows are the mounting thru bolts that go into engine case

second
get all three orings if you are going to pull the pump
#48 seals  the crankcase so oil can't leak from engine
63 is the cover oring (and are you sure it's leaking from there ?)

#4 seals the front pipe for coolant

mrs m's tigger was leaking coolant last year and I thought it was from the #63 oring ..............WRONG

turned out it was the hose connection where hose #20 connects to the pump body , tossed the hose clamp put a new one on no more leak .

when that hose leaks it runs down the body of the pump and looks just like the pump oring #63 is leaking ..........if your three bolts are tight on the pump I doubt the oring seal is leaking

97tiger885

Quote from: "Mustang"Jon
mrs m's tigger was leaking coolant last year and I thought it was from the #63 oring ..............WRONG

turned out it was the hose connection where hose #20 connects to the pump body , tossed the hose clamp put a new one on no more leak .

when that hose leaks it runs down the body of the pump and looks just like the pump oring #63 is leaking ..........if your three bolts are tight on the pump I doubt the oring seal is leaking

Hellfire and damnation,...adopting the mantra of convicts everwhere -WTF, let's do it- I pulled the pump.  I am going to pretend it was the #63 O-ring.  I found a US$.47 neoprene O-ring at Ace which I hope will replace the #4 O-ring.  I left #48 on because I wasn't sure I could remove it w/o damaging it.  I am going try an industrial supply place for a replacement for #63 tomorrow.  If I am successful there, maybe I will pull off #48 and try for a local replacement.

97tiger885

Quote from: "97tiger885"
Quote from: "Mustang"Jon

Hellfire and damnation,...adopting the mantra of convicts everwhere -WTF, let's do it- I pulled the pump.  I am going to pretend it was the #63 O-ring.  I found a US$.47 neoprene O-ring at Ace which I hope will replace the #4 O-ring.  I left #48 on because I wasn't sure I could remove it w/o damaging it.  I am going try an industrial supply place for a replacement for #63 tomorrow.  If I am successful there, maybe I will pull off #48 and try for a local replacement.

Turns out my problem really is #63 O-ring.  I put everything back together and rechecked.  

My attempt at finding O-rings at Grainger was a failure.   Grainger most likely has the O-rings.  The problem is guaranteeing you get the right ones.  It is hard to tell the exact dimensions on the worn O-rings and more importantly it is very tough to figure out what the profile of a worn  O-ring is.  I decided to order the O-rings from BikeBandit. My plan is take the new ones into Grainger before I install them and figure out what the Grainger product numbers are for those O-rings.  I don't think I will save much money but I will save a bunch of time next time I need to rehab the water pump.