News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1995 Rear Brake Caliper?

Started by sloburban, December 05, 2011, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloburban

I did a search and found a post stating the calipers are the same on the Datona, Sprint etc. on the 1995 Tiger with a Vin#............. and up...(here's the problem, I can't find that post again.

I did find this http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10528&highlight=caliper

The last 6 of my vin# 018429 Will those calipers fit the older style steamer?

I haven't tried very hard to free the frozen piston yet but still want to know my options.

Thanks for your help.

Mustang

sloburban

Mustang if it weren't for you I'd probably give up and buy a Honda :lol:
 Thanks!!!

97tiger885

Quote from: "sloburban"I haven't tried very hard to free the frozen piston yet but still want to know my options.

I just did this.  Most guys seem to use air.  I don't have easy access to a compressor.  What I did was remove the caliper and then remove the pads  LEAVING THE HYDRAULIC LINE IN PLACE.  (I did loosen the  banjo bolt and then retighten by hand before removing the caliper because it is hard to loosen the banjo bolt when the caliper is not anchored to something.)  Slowly pump the appropriate brake.  If one piston is free, it will begin to move.  Pump slowly until the piston is almost ready to come out of the bore.  Then take a screwdriver and wedge it so that this piston stops short of coming out of the bore.  Start pumping the brake again and the second piston should slowly come out.  Once the now unstuck piston is removed you can remove the screwdriver and the other piston.  

This is not as convenient as air because if you screw up and get the piston restuck you need to replace both pistons and rebleed the lines to restart the process.  It helps to have a large supply of brake fluid on hand if you do it this way.

sloburban

OK, need more advise.
I ordered, and just recieved a used caliper off of EBAY. http://www.ebay.com/itm/220812476694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

These two are a mirror of each other.
I did read in another thread you can just swap the mounting bracket.....What am I missing?
It just doesn't seem possible to switch the mounting brackets from one caliper to another.
New one is on the right.

//OristhisthemountingbracketI'msupposedtoswitch?[img]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-tw5p5J7/0/L/i-tw5p5J7-L.jpg[/img]

Or did I just buy the wrong caliper  :lol: ?

sloburban

Quote from: "97tiger885"
Quote from: "sloburban"I haven't tried very hard to free the frozen piston yet but still want to know my options.

I just did this.  Most guys seem to use air.  I don't have easy access to a compressor.  What I did was remove the caliper and then remove the pads  LEAVING THE HYDRAULIC LINE IN PLACE.  (I did loosen the  banjo bolt and then retighten by hand before removing the caliper because it is hard to loosen the banjo bolt when the caliper is not anchored to something.)  Slowly pump the appropriate brake.  If one piston is free, it will begin to move.  Pump slowly until the piston is almost ready to come out of the bore.  Then take a screwdriver and wedge it so that this piston stops short of coming out of the bore.  Start pumping the brake again and the second piston should slowly come out.  Once the now unstuck piston is removed you can remove the screwdriver and the other piston.  

This is not as convenient as air because if you screw up and get the piston restuck you need to replace both pistons and rebleed the lines to restart the process.  It helps to have a large supply of brake fluid on hand if you do it this way.
Thanks 97Tiger
I do have an air compressor and couldn't get either piston to move so I just ordered a used caliper to get me back on the road ASAP. Somehow that's not working out like planned  :oops:

MIMbox

If I remember, only the front right of a type A caliper (our type) will fit at the rear. IE you can swap the front right to the rear right, but if the caliper is a front left, or a rear from another, it may be underslung, not overslung, and basically its the wrong way round..
Triumph parts manual shows Caliper rear as 2020500-T0301 and the same part no for the front right. BUT the left front is 2023030-T0301. I suspect you may have the wrong caliper.

Sin_Tiger

Looks like you got sold a front left. As said front right is the same. Find a rear or front right and you will now have enough to swap around till your hearts content.

I confirmed the rear/front right is the same as a Honda phantom 200cc cruiser, don't know what they are called in the US.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint