News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake fluid and coolant disposal

Started by 97tiger885, December 13, 2011, 08:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

This is probably common knowledge but I am willing to state and restate the obvious.  I was hesitant to change brake/clutch fluid because I didn't know how to dispose of it.  In my area many auto stores take used oil.  It turns out these stores take brake fluid as well.  And the stores take both used oil and brake fluid in one container.  I put the brake fluid in the same container with my used engine oil and haul it off to the auto parts store.  Lilttle muss, little fuss.  

I still haven't found a place to take my used coolant.  The only suggestion people have had is to get an auto/mc repair place to add it to their drum.   Anyone have a solution for disposing of coolant? I have heard rumors of eco-friendly coolant that can be sent down a household drain, but I haven't done any research to find out if there is such a thing or if it is anywhere near a rational price.

Sin_Tiger

Don't see why it can't go in the drain, main constituent being ethylene glycol :?  That's where all my alcohol goes eventually :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

im with sin on this one. ive either poured it in the road drain or just let it pour onto the floor and let it dry up by itself.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

here in the usa .......EPA will be all over you like a hound dog on a ham bone , you gotta dispose of shit properly .

green is the color of the day.................recycle you only have 1 planet and it's already pretty screwed up .  :cry:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "rybes"im with sin on this one. ive either poured it in the road drain or just let it pour onto the floor and let it dry up by itself.

One point worth mentioning here; cats love ethylene glycol for some reason, but it's highly poisonous so only takes a few drops to make an ex kitty.

Not trying to make trouble, just sayin'
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I really didn't know it was any sort of threat, I'll keep that in mind.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nightrunner

Good onya for being eco friendly.  Try going to earth911.com and searching for antifreeze disposal near you.  There are several hits near Dover, PA.

That being said, antifreeze is biodegradable, so it can go in the sewer.  The reason to recycle is its made from natural gas.

Cheers.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

97tiger885

Quote from: "nightrunner"Good onya for being eco friendly.  Try going to earth911.com and searching for antifreeze disposal near you.  There are several hits near Dover, PA.

That being said, antifreeze is biodegradable, so it can go in the sewer.  The reason to recycle is its made from natural gas.

Cheers.

Good to know about earth911.com.  Called a garage about 6 miles away and it is a collection site for used antifreeze.  The garage burns the used oil it collects in a furnace for heat like many garages around here seem to do, but the antifreeze gets taken away to be recycled.  No charge.  Thanks for the tip.