News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Aftermarket cooler hoses ?

Started by Neil1052, December 18, 2011, 06:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil1052

Hi Guys,
            Just wondered if anyone has any aftermarket oil cooler hoses fitted ?

My 05 955 Girly oil cooler hoses items are finished in "flaky red rust" & so I dont think the OE hoses justify their extortionate price !

Am thinking of fitting full length stainless steel braided items.

Is there an aftermarket kit available anywhere or has anyone got dimensions handy to save me taking mine off to get some made up ?

P.S.
I'm rather nervous about disturbing mine, as I think they will probably disintegrate, leak or will simply not be worth refitting

Cheers,
           Neil.

:oops:
Thus bats rally quack

rf9rider

You could try Goodridge

Sin_Tiger

Google your nearest hydraulic company, ride the bike over and let them have a look.anyone worth their salt will tell you on the spot what you need and how much.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

+1

Used to use Pirtecha lot in the old days.  They weren't the cheapest, but had branches everywhere and were VERY helpful.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

You need to talk to these folk,have been more than handy in the past.

http://www.lister.co.uk/ecommerce/respo ... FRAMESETUP

aesdj

Neil I'm doing this same mod this year and have been searching but no one I've come across does a kit. I'm going to take mine off and go to my local Pirtec as there's one in my home town of Bradford. I'm doing mine as like you said if you scratch them I'd guess that a peice of the flakey rust will drop off and leave a hole behind.

Neil1052

Quote from: "aesdj"Neil I'm doing this same mod this year and have been searching but no one I've come across does a kit. I'm going to take mine off and go to my local Pirtec as there's one in my home town of Bradford. I'm doing mine as like you said if you scratch them I'd guess that a peice of the flakey rust will drop off and leave a hole behind.

Just wondered if you'd got yours made up yet ?
As i've been very busy with other projects.

I've been searching on eblag for quite a while for some reasonable s/h hoses, I ended up buying some c/w with a cooler for buggerallmoney  :shock:

At least i'll be able to take the old hoses in when I do my next oil change, as I also suspect mine will also deteriorate faster than a Condem government when disconnected !
 :roll:
Thus bats rally quack

aesdj

No I've not done it yet. I'm taking the bike to there shop in April as they may be a problem with how much clearance there is between the sump and hose.The nut that tightens the olive onto the hose may foul against the under side on the sump as ther's only 5mm clearance.I'll keep you up to date as to how I get on.

aesdj

Went to Pirtec and the guy said that they don't have a union that is the same bend as the one coming out of the cooler on the chain side.Told me to go direct to Earl's as this is who they use. I want them as the original's but out of stainless but he didn't think that they could do it and if they were made out of braided hose the one that runs along the underside of the cooler may blow against the exhaust which seemed a valid point when you see how close they are.I'm going to fire off an e-mail to them but I think this will have to wait till this winter as I don't want the bike off of the road. I'm thinking of turning some banjo's out of stainless and getting a good welder to weld them to some stainless tube bent as the originals and just get Pirtec to add the small braided sections.How've you got on?

aesdj

WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Got in touch with Earls and they said they couldn't do it although I could do it myself out of there catalogue but at a price (£250 :shock: ), same with Goodridge. Got in touch with HEL and they wanted the pipes. Stripped the bike and sent them off only to get them back 2 weeks later after lots of phone calls with them owwing and arring. In the end they didn't want to do it without the bike there (why tell me to send my pipes then) :x . Thats not going to happen as there in Devon, dissapointed. I'm now waiting for a parcel from USA (PlumbingMonkey.com). Including the postage its cost me £95. Need some banjo adapters that I can get off e-bay and some Extreme Heat Sleeve from Thermal Velocity. If anyones intrested I'll keep posting and if i learn how, I'll post some pictures.

Sin_Tiger

I'm always interested in bizarre plumbing issues, odd I know, keep at it, it's always very satisfying at the end of the day. Yorkshire is historically the home of weird plumbing so you have a proud heritage to uphold 8)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"I'm always interested in bizarre plumbing issues, odd I know, keep at it, it's always very satisfying at the end of the day. Yorkshire is historically the home of weird plumbing so you have a proud heritage to uphold 8)

Is that why some copper unions are called "Yorkshire" joints?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/yorkshire-end ... f-10/29069

:lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aesdj

At last there done. Got my parcel but had to pay £25 import tax, well pissed. I got 1 meter of -6 hose, 5 * straight connectors, 1 * 30 degree connector, 1 * 90 degree male to male -6 adapter, 3 * -6 by M14 banjo adapters, 1 * M14 by 1.5MM pitch to -6 adapter, 9 * cooper crush washers and finally 1 meter of 20mm fire sleeve. You'll also need some soft jaws for your vice to protect the connectors as you tighten them. The first things you need to do is cut the bracket off of the oil cooler that the gromit fits into and the 2 lugs on the sump that the oil lines sit up against. Right, starting with the shorter of the 2 hoses cut around 340mm of hose. The only way I found to cut it without the braid flaring out is to use a grinder with a cutting disc fitted. Wrap the hose were you want to cut it with some tape to hold the braid together and cut through the middle of the tape. Fit 1 straight conector and banjo to one end and the 30 degree to the other. Put the M14 to -6 adapter in to the oil cooler with 1 washer and tighten to 25Nm and attach the 30 to this but don't tighten yet as this will need to come off. At the sump side you'll need 3 washers, 2 against the sump and banjo to get clearance and 1 against the bolt. Now for the long hose you'll need 2 peices around 360mm and  74mm. Put a straight on either end of both hoses with a banjo in one end of each hose. The 90 degree fits in to the the other straight connectors but again don't tighten. Fit this and adjust so that it sits were you need and nip up the conneters attached to the 90. Remove and tighten them up fully making sure nothing moves then re-fit. You'll now need to figure out a way of supporting this 'L' shaped hose. For me I made a 'U' shaped bracket that came off of my crash bar bolt and goes between the short hose and water hose and using a 'P' clip to grab around the top of the longer hose. Once your happy, wash and blow out the hoses and cut your fire sleeve and slide it on to both ends of the 'L' hose. Fit this first as access is hard for tightening up your bracket/'P' clip with the short hose fitted. All the banjo bolts are tighten'd to 25Nm. Check everything is tight and not touching anything and if your happy, start the bike and check for leaks. Quite a long write up but I hope this gives you an idea as to what you need to do. If I can figure out how to add pictures I will.