News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Our Girly has arrived in South Oz

Started by Mossy, December 18, 2011, 11:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossy

Last Friday was the big day. Hopped on a plane at 7.50am and flew down to Adelaide arriving at 8.45am. My mate came and picked me up from the airport and we went back to his place where the bike was going to be delivered. On arrival there I rang the transport company and they said they would send it straight away. By the time we'd had a coffee there was a knock on the door and from then on we had a number of `firsts' for the day.
Sitting on the truck was the `first' Girly I had seen up close in the flesh.
It was even better looking in the flesh than all the photo's I have seen.  :D
After unloading it I had my `first' sit on a Girly.  :D  :D
We then tried starting it, ignition on, kill switch off, hit the button. Nothing happened, well this is just wonderful I thought to myself, a new bike that doesn't work.  :(  We'll just have a quick look in the handbook and see what that says, oh, you have to hold the clutch in.
Went back and tried it and lo and behold, it fired up  :D  :D  :D
Then it was time for my `first' ride on a Girly  

Just a few runs up and down the road to get used to things, it felt a bit intimidating to start with being so big and its the first bike I've had where the fairing doesn't turn with the handlebars, but overall first impressions were :D  :D  :D  :D
From there it was around the corner, top up the fuel tank and head home. I had about 15 km of city traffic before getting to the highway and I was surprised how comfortable it all felt after only 4-5km's  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
It was then non stop for 200km to Pt Pirie where I stopped for lunch. I found numb bum didn't appear until about 160km had been completed and after the stop at Pirie all was OK for the remaining 100km to Port Augusta. Considering this was the first long distance ride I had done in possibly 15 years I was very impressed with how good I felt, especially as I had a strong cross wind most of the way home  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
First thing on arriving home was to head to the police station for a vehicle check (ie check engine and frame numbers) then onto the Motor reg office for registration and new number plate. Finally arriving home about 3.00pm.
That was when the wife got her `first' look at a Girly up close and in the flesh.
Then had her `first' sit on a Girly

Followed by her `first' ride on a Girly

On Saturday I decided to fit the Thunderbike crash bars which was reasonably hassle free, there is a bit more detail in my `New member fron South Oztralia' thread.
Sunday morning we went for a ride through the hills to Wilmington, then the back road to Quorn and home again. I'm amazed how little difference a pillion makes to the performance and handling of the Tiger  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
A couple of pics with the crashbars fitted.

And one final pic of the Tiger being introduced to its cousin

Cheers Mossy
2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1960 TR6 Trophy Scrambler
1953 Thunderbird Salt Lake Racer
1950 250 Excelsior Talisman Twin
1926 250 Levis

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

KuzzinKenny

Hey Mossy !! congrats on yer new to you Tigger  :occasion14

one thing to remember about our Tiggers, they like to run with a loose chain, in other words, don't go by the book  :wink:

have fun !!

KK

ps nice pics  :thumbsup and its rare to see a Girly on a Girly  :D

that doesn't sound right does it  :?
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Mossy

G'day KK
I seem to recall reading about chain tension somewhere. What sort of slack should I have solo and two up?
Cheers Mossy
2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1926 250 Levis

NZDeano

Hey Mossy, good picks. Wow, oh la la to the stable mate, the scrambler. I have the 2008 version to sit my Girly beside but its not a patch on the tangerine dream. But I do love the 865 twin motor, especially in the 270 degree firing order. I have often wondered what the original is like to ride.

Anyway, the Girly looks good mate. Regarding the chain tension, its because its such a long swingarm I think, gotta have the slack to move I imagine. I have done mine to the maximum suggested slack in the manual and it feels right to me.
I rung my local dealer today for the price of a left hand mirror to replace the one I left behind on the bridge railing, and they want NZ $175.00 for it, plus I need the clutch clamp, a further NZ $55.00. I cant get over the price of parts new here in NZ, wondering what its like in Aussie.
Good stuff Mossy.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

aeronca

cool pic's, and good looking tiger 8)  congrats.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mossy

Deano
I originally wanted a Scrambler because I thought it would look good in the shed next to the Trophy, but the wife wanted something with more power, so the Tiger is the result. I was thinking last night that when I win x-lotto I'll get an early fifties 500 Trophy, a 500 Adventurer, a 750 Tiger trial and an early Steamer. Then I'll have a dual purpose Triumph from each decade. :D
As for parts I generally buy anything I need (for bike or cars) from the UK, always cheaper and generally arrives within 5 working days.
Just need to find a good dealer over there. Any suggestions from UK members??
Cheers Mossy
2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1926 250 Levis

ArcticTiger

Hi Mossy; congrats on your cute new Girly :hello2  :wings , and a very nice report and beautifull pics! Hopefully you will post more ridereports and pics in the future :thumbsup
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

PeteH

Congats on the Tigger...let the farkling begin:)

Quote from: "Mossy"What sort of slack should I have solo and two up?

I always sit on the bike and check for 1/2" to 3/4" of play on the bottom chain run, two up...jack up the pre load and get everyone onboard then check again( might need assistance tho  :wink: )
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

KuzzinKenny

:iagree  remember these bikes have 200mm/8" of rear suspension travel   :shock:

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Mossy

Deano
Just been looking at Triumph-online.co.uk. They have l/h mirrors for GBP 24.99.
Does anyone buy from them?
Cheers Mossy
2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1926 250 Levis

rf9rider

Quote from: "Mossy"Deano
Cheers Mossy

I use them quite regularly for stuff, had no problems with them.

Geoff W

I get some stuff from Sprint Manufacturing. Good service and prompt delivery. On triumphparts.gbr.cc
Good pics, nice bike.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "rf9rider"
Quote from: "Mossy"Deano
Cheers Mossy

I use them quite regularly for stuff, had no problems with them.

+1
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mossy

Well its been 6 days we've had the Tiger now and done just over 500km's. I can't believe how every time I ride it, it just gets better and better  :D  :D  :D  :D
It seemed very big to start with but it must shrink a bit with each ride, as I feel totally at ease on it now.
Our original intention when we first decided to buy a Tiger was to just use it for going to work and the occasional day trip, but I can see it being used for much more than that already. If anyone comes across a set of Lucifer Orange Triumph panniers we could be interested?
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you all.
Cheers Mossy
2004 Lucifer Orange 955
1926 250 Levis