News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Our Girly has arrived in South Oz

Started by Mossy, December 18, 2011, 11:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

I know there have been some postings on here about chain tension but it really is important,rather ironic if you read all the disclaimers in the handbook when the chain setting process in it is terminal if used that way for any amount of time.

The simple reason!! there's no rising rate linkage like you get on Jap bikes(Triumph learned!! so have KTM!! look at the new models) so how much weight you have on the bike determines how much slack you need in the chain,with two people and kit the chain will look too slack on the side stand/centerstand,god knows how many folk have told me it needs tightening.

The only real way is to sit on the bike with your other half,then lean down :roll:  and feel the chain tension,if you have set it by the book it will be like a banjo string,then just slacken it accordingly,I rarely ride mine one up,but when I do it is possible to get away with a slack chain.

I could write War and Piece about the suspension(aftermarket),as I had pointed out to me in no uncertain terms the swingarm and suspension was built by Triumph when they hadn't got a clue what they were doing  :D ,now rectified!!,regardless I'll not be selling mine anytime in the future.

iansoady

Quote from: "Chris Canning"The simple reason!! there's no rising rate linkage like you get on Jap bikes(Triumph learned!! so have KTM!! look at the new models) so how much weight you have on the bike determines how much slack you need in the chain,with two people and kit the chain will look too slack on the side stand/centerstand,god knows how many folk have told me it needs tightening.

I don't think that's the reason - it's the simple geometry of having the swinging arm pivot not coaxial with the gearbox sprocket. With this configuration there will always be chain tension variation with suspension movement. And the longer the movement the more the variation.

A coaxial layout has been tried on a few bikes (BMW G450X, Husqvarna SM449) but is difficult to achieve so most manufacturers just allow their customers to put up with the problem - which TBH isn't too hard.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

It's the reason alright :wink: ,it's a crap idea,you offered 2 bikes I can offer you a whole range KTM!! the Americans(biggest market) have forced them to change,and of course as Triumph have wised up they've dumped as well.

You make the mistake of assuming all bikers can ajust a chain.

Maybe I should have had a camera with me when I've gone to suspension shops and said have a look at this  :shock: ,first word always begins with F  :D

The only bike apart from motocross that I know has been succesfull with that set up is the factory R6 Supersport bike,but they did have factory Ohlins to sort it out,were as the CBR600 has a linkage.