News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical good news.....

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 13, 2012, 10:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Well, having made room in my garage to set up my lathe to do RF9's spacers, I finally got round to pulling my Girl apart. Three things to do, look for the rattle, full service inc shims and Sasquach mod to address recent low voltage issues.  I'll leave the others for now and focus on the voltage issue - a drop from 13.5v to 12.2v on my dashboard monitor.

Once I got the tank off I located the three-way connector from the genny to the reg/rec and examined it. Reason being when my 'Bird genny went west, a burnt spade connector was the first evidence of anything wrong. Things immediately looked promising as it was badly crudded up. Despite all attempts to remove the male and female spades from the plugs, things were so bad they wouldn't come out so I had to destroy both plugs.  Having done that, I cleaned up the spades, which are copper, not the usual brass, put them back together with electrical grease, heat shrink tubing and self-amalgamating tape. After starting her up - 13.5v again   :D so Sas mod not needed. All in all, I seem to have caught it just in time, but mainly thanks to my dash voltmeter which gave early warning of the problem, at which point I stopped riding until I'd fixed it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

Good job i made you get your finger out then!  :lol:

Sin_Tiger

Good news indeed, which electrical grease would you recommend so that I can order some for pick up during my leave.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I'll dig it out and let you know. This has probably saved me an eventual alternator reg/rec failure.

Thinking about it, if you've  had a fail and replaced the genny without cleaning out the loom end of the plug / socket joint, it'll very quickly happen again. Could be somewhere to inspect regularly. My girl has done a high percentage of her 21k  in heavy rain on our motorways so that goes some way to explaining it I guess.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

I'll dig it out and let you know. This has probably saved me an eventual alternator reg/rec failure.

Thinking about it, if you've  had a fail and replaced the genny without cleaning out the loom end of the plug / socket joint, it'll very quickly happen again. Could be somewhere to inspect regularly. My girl has done a high percentage of her 21k  in heavy rain on our motorways so that goes some way to explaining it I guess.

blacktiger

We heard you the first time John.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

I did the charging mod a couple of years ago and it does make a huge difference to the voltage getting to the battery. Mine went from low 13v to mid 14v at idle.
All my plugs, however, were in perfect condition. What every garage should have is some dielectric grease and make a habit of squeezing some into every plug that you take apart. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... ric+grease
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Good news indeed, which electrical grease would you recommend so that I can order some for pick up during my leave.

I get most of my stuff from www.beal.org.uk Family firm, very helpful and most o of their prices are competitive.  They also carry alot of obscure stuff that,s hard to find elsewhere.

Sin_Tiger

Thanks Bob, I order from them a couple of times a year and they have always been on the money, great prices and reliable.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint