News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steering head bearings?

Started by PeteH, January 24, 2012, 11:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

tigger 2 looked the same way when I changed em at 55k miles,

I think it's a combination of front brake , heavy bike , shit OEM bearings.

Question :when do people generally change the head bearing ?

Answer: when they feel notchy !

that photo is very typical of Triumph headstock bearings .

Bixxer Bob

Same pattern also as my 'bird. She gets about 25k out of a set.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Mine has 32k on it and still tickity boo(famous last words) and while it's seen plenty of wet in it's life,it's never seen a winters day either,in the Yahoo tiger days I bought a set of laser spanners off a guy in the States so they've always been well ajusted.

Sin_Tiger

The Steamer was barely noticeable at 86k miles but I did them anyway. I don't know if they had ever been done previously but given they state of other maintenance I would doubt it :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH

Waiting the bearings form Triumph-online, so renewed the fork oil today. Drained them saturday and left em overnight to fully drain, checked the level with the forks fully compressed and it was around the 125mm mark, im now getting confused :oops:
On refilling the Haynes manual reckons 680cc ish and 119mm clearance... I managed to get around 605 cc in for 119mm... all properly pumped to drain etc..

Oh, and I used a cut down syringe for filling printer cartidges to get the desired level..gotta be safe;)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour