News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone paint their plastic fuel tank successfully? I need to

Started by thetolleyman, February 07, 2012, 04:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetolleyman

My tiger tank needs a paintjob, lots of blisters. Is it possible to get a good paint job on that thing that won't bubble after while?
Tiger 955i

Mustang

yes and no

it will last for awhile (few years)
but over time what happens is the gas fumes leach thru the plastic tank and get under the paint causing bubbles .

grafty99

Mustang is correct, however if you try to always store the bike with a full tank of fuel then it reduces the problem.
2000 885i Girly
2004 KTM SX 125
2002 TD5 Landrover Defender

(trying to keep it as British as possible!)

Yankee Dog

mine is at the shop right now getting a new coat of paint. My tiger stripe decals had a lot of bubbles but not a single bubble anywhere else. The new paint job will hopefully eliminate this issues with airbrushed stripes.

Where is your tank bubbled?

Fe Man

My tank had no bubbles what so ever...
Seems like it is really hit or miss; the one I just ordered is AFU!

jwray76

Hey TolleyMan, glad the bike found a good home and you are going to get her all purty again. In case you have figured it out yet you can take Mustangs advice as the gospel. He knows these Tigers as well if not better than most anyone out there.

BTW I am sending you a PM because your emails were getting kicked back to me today.