News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Unauthorised ECU modifications and Warranty Claims

Started by DeanRider, February 25, 2012, 05:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeanRider

Important Notice: To all users of TuneBoy and TuneECU

The Triumph factory has this week issued a clear workshop instruction to its global dealer network with respect to warranty claims resulting from unauthorized ECU modifications which override the original factory approved parameters of an o/e tune map while retaining its original tune number. Such unapproved modifications include increasing the rev limiter range, fueling, and the adjustment of the ignition timing without the use of an additional control unit.

From now on, all warranty claims for suspect ECU faults or engine damage will only be authorized after the ECU has been thoroughly checked by the factory. In this regard, on all its new models, Triumph has included an anti-tamper facility within the ECU which has the ability to detect when non o/e software has been downloaded. This recorded information can only be read by the factory.

Be Warned: Triumph will reject all warranty claims for any ECU returned to the factory that has recorded any unauthorised tunes. As a result, the use of any non-approved modifications will invalidate your motorcycle's warranty. In addition, the factory points out that homologation and type approval could also be affected and in some instances result in the invalidation of a rider's insurance in the event of a claim!

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod
My skeertuig is vol palings
1967 Triumph Tiger T100
1984 BMW R100CS
2002 Daytona 955i CE
2006 Triumph Tiger 955i
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2011 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet Classic

Timbox2

I think MOST on here are way past the warranty period
2016 Tiger Sport

DeanRider

Quote from: "Timbox2"I think MOST on here are way past the warranty period

I beg to differ. I see there are over 721 postings in the 'Beakers' forum -- i.e., owners and admirers of the Tiger 800 and Tiger 800 XC; furthermore, there are 351 postings in the 'Roadies' forum for the 1050 Tigers 2007+ many of which will still be under the two-year factory warranty.

1967 Triumph Tiger T100
1984 BMW R100CS
2002 Daytona 955i CE
2006 Triumph Tiger 955i
2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2011 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet Classic

NKL

But they don't tend to play with ECU settings.
Also it's a bit of a pointless statement, if you changed parameters on the ECU that led to engine damage I don't think anybody would expect Triumph to cover it, its the same with all warranty claims.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Bixxer Bob

You are both right in a way. Triumph are right to warn against changes as, in the hands of a Muppet, you could blow your engine with either piece of software and they shouldn't be expected to pay for owners foolery.  But in the old days of points and carbs you could anyway; so nothing's changed.  On this forum, as far as I am aware, it's only 955i owners that dabble and the software makes it clear you do so at your own risk.  I am aware though, that on other forums and with other makes of bikes, folks are tuning for serious extra power and that is very risky if you don't know what you are doing, or - worse -  you put your faith in others that think they know but don't.

Some months ago it was claimed that Triumph had actually released a tune that blocks access by Tuneboy. Tuneboy refuted this and so far I've not come across any hard evidence.  And why would Triumph bother? I ask for two reasons; first I don't think they have access to the ECU hard code they'd need to do that and second, the ECUs have  been hacked, so can be hacked again.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...