News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Should I buy an 81K Mile 2001 Girly!?

Started by tomodan, March 05, 2012, 01:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomodan

As the title says I am considering buying a 2001 955i Girly with 81K miles on the clock  :shock:

She did 66K in the first 4 years and has only had 3 owners (my guess would be that she was used to commute or for work by the first owner)

She is cosmetically a bit rough (engine paint flaking, rusty fasteners etc) but no more than I would expect for 81K and 11 years!

I am told there is history up to 66K (not seen the history yet) and it is very cheap and i am taking an extended test ride next Sat so any immediate issues will show (I can take the bike out for as long as I want)
I know bikes pretty well and can chuck a spanner around when I need to so my question is more about any specific things to check on mega mileage tigers. I could take her home on the test ride and get my spanners out if there is anything you recommend I check (Cam chain tensioner depth?) or any known big bills associated with high milers. I would expect the usual bearings and bits and pieces to need some work.

Many thanks in advance!

Chris Canning

As always it's all about price,there's nothing in your profile so we don't even know if were talking $ or £ !!.

tomodan

Very good Point! I will add profile detail tonight but for now I am in the UK and she will be £1400. Thoughts?

iansoady

That's cheap enough. If it starts and runs well I'd probably take the chance, although not if I was planning on doing a bog mileage on it.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Not cheap enough for me,not with that mileage on  :(

I know it's not tiger and cat D,but when theirs stuff like this out there for 2 grand who wants to look at high priced high milege stuff.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/bikes-bits-sa ... arout.html

tomodan

Fair one, there are loads of nice bikes out there for my budget but the problem I have is I want a big trail bike! I have had sports bikes, tourers and everything in between but I have settled on the "adventure bike" style as suiting my needs / wants the best. I have had a 750 super tenere, an africa twin and a GS Adventurer and love the riding position, practicality etc. Problem is that big trailies are relatively more expensive than other types of bikes (Charly and Ewan have a lot to answer for!)

I had assumed that super tenere's were the ony ones in my price range but this Tiger has me interested. Any more advice / opinions welcomed. Has anyone got a really high milage Tiger on here? if so what should I look out for?

BigDan

Thing is, if the engine blows it will cost a further £1500 for a new one lol.

I'd try to steer clear mate, yes its cheap but if you put any more miles on it, you'll never be able to resell.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Chris Canning

Quote from: "BigDan"Thing is, if the engine blows it will cost a further £1500 for a new one lol.

I'd try to steer clear mate, yes its cheap but if you put any more miles on it, you'll never be able to resell.

The problem isn't the cost of the motor(maybe get one for £5/600),with a lower mileage bike in decent nick there's a market for spares,you only have to look on ebay,if the motor goes pop you can break the bike no probs,with the best will in the world your not going to break a scabby bike with that kind of mileage at good money,it's the first question people ask how many miles has the doner bike done??.

Everything has a value,if you pay £1400 and it runs like a swiss watch then it's a bargain,it goes pop it's 1400 quid down the drain,make him offer if he doesn't like it walk away,you've two choices to his one.

tomodan

Timing is everything etc, I have just bought another one un-seen!

In a nutshell its a well used (i.e commuted on in Scotland!) 31K 955i in black and is £100 cheaper than the 81K one.

It is a cat C (cosmetic damage) however this happened 5 years ago and it has been well used since.

It was your comments about mileage which made me re-think the high mileage one.

I figure with this one it has low enough mileage to be reliable (subject to a good service / fettle ) It isn't pretty but is fundamentally sound (Very detailed pictures provided) and the most important thing for me, the bloke selling it was open, honest and didn't try and dress it up as anything it isn't. (my gut feelings have never let me down yet with people selling bikes / cars)

It also comes with a few "accumulated spares" (set of calipers and a spare tank) which would improve the looks / condition but if sold  on seperately will make it a Very Very cheap bike (beer money ish)

Looking forward to picking it up when work allows, I will report back once I have her

Sin_Tiger

Where are you? Good looking bikes even with the character building scrapes.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint