News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve cover gasket

Started by ArchRider, March 08, 2012, 04:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

I'd like a little advice on my valve cover gasket.  I've read through the entire sticky regarding adjusting valve shims and now know that the sealant can be removed from the engine block with acetone.  Can it also be removed from the gasket?  Or will the acetone destroy the gasket?  The last person who had the bike open really used a liberal amount.  

The gasket still seems to fit the slot in the cover well.  I'd rather not have to buy a new one ($53 US). :shock:

Here's a photo of the worst portion with sealant on it.

Mustang

I myself would NOT use any kind of chemical on the rubber to remove the sealant .
any excess sealant can simply be peeled off just by pulling on it gently , you don't want to stretch the rubber or you will be buying a new gasket .

John Stenhouse

When I did mine I tried refitting the old gasket, in my opinion it was a total waste of time, leaked at the end had to take it all apart again and put a new one on.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Ironhorse

Mine leaked after I reassembled and so I removed it again and used a small amount of black silicone in the cam plug areas. No more leaks.

ArchRider

Thanks.  I figured acetone might destroy the rubber but I wanted to know whether I wasn't thinking correctly.  Am I right about the cost of a new gasket or is my dealer ripping me off?  I noticed in the sticky for the valve check that someone mentioned the gasket was around $20.  Now I know the sticky thread was written awhile ago but I wouldn't have expected the cost to go up 2.5 times.
And the yellow stuff in the photo, which I think is sealant, is an absolute pain to get off the rubber.  I don't know what it really is but it does not come off willingly.  It feels as though I am actually pulling off pieces fo the rubber but then once it's off, the rubber looks fine underneath.
Any other place other than the dealer to get a 955i valve cover gasket?  I checked with a local dual sport supplier and they couldn't find one.

Mustang

the price you were quoted is probably right , those instructions were written over eight years ago  :shock:
steamer  is $30 Girly is $53 don't quite understand why but that's what the current prices are at bike bandit
it's a dealer only item .............or bike bandit , which is still retail just like the dealer

ArchRider

Thanks, Mustang.  I may just have to give up and spend the cash.  Does the sealant on my gasket look like the typical RTV sealant or do you think the previous mechanic used something they shouldn't have?  I am really having a heck of a time trying to get the stuff off.
My frugal side tells me to just get off as much of the junk as I can and then add some more RTV where the manual says.  Then the other half of my brain tells me that I only want to put this thing back together once and not have to take it apart again.

Mustang

no it looks like he used 3 bond which is damn good stuff ...just doesn't come off easy

when in doubt ....replace it  :wink:

ArchRider

That first side of my brain was a little afraid you were going to say that.  But, it really is the correct approach.  Thanks for the advice.

blacktiger

I find patience is a good thing because I've never bought a new gasket and spend quite some time peeling the old sealant off. All you have to do is flex the gasket and the sealant should come off. At least, the Loctite instant gasket (green stuff) that I use does.

Shit! Why is the screen so wide?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ArchRider

I've been wondering why the screen ended up so wide.  I must not have the photo posting thing down yet.  I followed the sizing requirements but the photo is huge.

And I was able to get all but just a few little, thin bits off by doing exactly what you recommended.  Crack a beer, flex the gasket, and peel the sealant.

ArchRider

Just put her back together (I know it took some time but work and family can get in the way of wrenching).  I used the old gasket but combined it with some really good RTV on all the spots Mustang recommended.  I started her up and let her run for 10 minutes or so.  No leaks!!  Ya-freaking-Hoo! :wings

I think part of my procrastination was also not wanting to get the plugs back in, airbox on top, tank in place, and hook up the battery just to find a leak.  I think that would have made me cry (or throw something).

Thanks for all your advice.

atokad

Quote from: "blacktiger"Shit! Why is the screen so wide?

PC/Windows
Ctrl - key to reduce your screen image and Ctrl + to magnify it

MAC
Command -
Command +

Or buy a bigger monitor!  :D

Bixxer Bob

Or Mustang could re-size the pics.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...