News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which oil?

Started by BigDan, March 09, 2012, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Stenhouse

I used Duckhams semi synth in my Girl last time and had no problems, I did talk to their tech dept. and was given the same as usual respone, don't use it in bikes cos it makes the clutch slip, never did in the time I ran it.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

iansoady

I understood the problem with some car oils were friction modifiers found in SJ rated lubricants which promoted clutch slip.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

kelpie_67

I use rotella 15 40 and have no problems
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

TigerTrax

I normally use Mobil 4T . . . but yesterday I purchased the Castrol...
quite abit more expensive, but give it a go.

I think the oil threads miss an important point: Use good oil and change it often. One chap said he runs a Mercedes Sprinter ( very coooool ) and they run high mileage.... changing oil at the proper intervals is key. Here in the USA I drive my vans ( covering 4 states as a sales rep ) 300,000 miles... no problems of any kind.

So I think if you stick with the proper type, change often, you'll be fine.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

ChazzyB

Quote from: "metalguru"Got two Vauxhall cars and being an ex VM apprentice kinda stuck to the brand so this is the stuff I use in the cars and watercooled bikes. Not a bad price to the door.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200504649373? ... 1423.l2649

Strangely enough, I used VX 10W-40 Semi-skimmed for a couple of years, and at 53K miles now, my clutch is slipping at times. Probably not related at all. Probably...

New plates, springs and required gaskets are on the shelf, ready for me to get my finger out and fit. Just as soon as I've solved the charging problem. Grrr.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Chris Canning

The only oil I'd avoid is the Olive varity  :wink: ,for your bike that is!!

haulin' daze

Would Mobil 1 10w-30 be allright or is that too thin? The 2 places I go to were out of all 10w-40.  :wink:

jphish

probably not a good idea - unless motorcycle specific oil. 10/30 car oil has friction modifiers - not good for wet clutch.

haulin' daze

But 10w-40 does not have friction modifiers? Interesting.

Mustang

Quote from: "haulin' daze"But 10w-40 does not have friction modifiers? Interesting.
if it's mobil 1 10w/40 car oil it has an additive pkg that most assuredly has friction modifiers in it .

if you want mobil 1 for bikes you need mx4t mobil 1 and it is now over 10 bucks a quart  :shock:

ArchRider

Maybe I'm not shopping hard enough but I'm finding all full-synth, motorcycle oil to be in the $10/quart or $15/liter range.  I just put in what the type the manual recommends (15w50 full) but I get it from a small, local shop because I'd prefer to give him my money rather than the big dealership in town.

jphish

Well, one way to cure the perpetual oil search is...buy a case when ya find the right stuff. I go thru about a case a year between the 2 tiggers. I can get AMS 10-40 at NAPA for a bit less than $10/qt. Triumph Dealer has it too - but $12 there.

GARYSTIGER955i

Quote from: "BigDan"Hi all,

I'm servicing the tiger at the end of the month, and I'm getting conflicting answers on which oil to use.

In one thread on another forum, one guy was using 15w50 fully synthetic, another using 10w40 semi, another using 15w 40 fully....

What do you guys use?

Cheers,
Dan

Dan Ive use both semi and fully on mine, but do prefer fully, I have 58000 miles on her and the shims have never been replaced, but I put this down to regular oil changes.. I currently use Castrol GPS Racepower1 10/40 fs and have done for about 3 years and which I believe is now triumphs recommended, you can purchase this from Halfords at £23 for 4ltrs (with a trade card), but on a note Use geniune triumph filter.
"Led Zepplin didnt write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"

2001 green 995i Tiger
1989 BMW K100 RT
1982 Honda xl185s (now Sold)
1987 Suzuki Gs 850GG
1998 VZ 800 maurader
2004 Suzuki RV 125 vanvan
1998 LDV 400 Convoy.

BigDan

Cheers for that Gary, I went for Silkolene 10w40 fully synth, and using K&N filter for the handy nut that is welded on the end. Makes it FAR easier to take the oil filter off. I have one of them "strap" filter removal tools but its shit.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook