News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Running rich??

Started by ArchRider, March 11, 2012, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

My 2001 smells as though it is running a bit rich.  I have even had fellow riders mention it.  I thought it was the valve shims because they hadn't been checked in 24k.  But I just checked them and everything is in spec (at 48k, surprisingly :) ).
About 2 years ago I had the tune checked to make certain it was correct for the TOR can I'm running.  Could the tuning have gone out in 2 years? If so, can someone tell me where I can find the correct tuning for my exhaust?
Could it be something else I haven't checked?  I read through the post about running rich after a winter break and mine doesn't seem to be the same condition except for it running rich.

John Stenhouse

If it's got the tor can on and the tor tune it will smell a bit rich, that's what the tor tune does richen it up
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ArchRider

Thanks, John.  I didn't know that richness was the result of the TOR can.  I bought the bike with it on so I don't know any different.  However, it seems as though it has gotten worse in the past 6 months to one year.

After a wreck a year and a half ago, I had the whole bike checked out  and nothing was determined to be amiss.  Could a hard slam have messed up something an inspection would miss?

metalguru

Is that an 855 you have there?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

ArchRider

No.  It's a 2001 955i.  Does that make a difference?

metalguru

Quote from: "ArchRider"No.  It's a 2001 955i.  Does that make a difference?

Yes it can but lets start with basics like when was the air filter last looked at?

Do you have TuneEcu?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

blacktiger

Quote from: "metalguru"
Quote from: "ArchRider"No.  It's a 2001 955i.  Does that make a difference?

Yes it can but lets start with basics like when was the air filter last REPLACED?

There, corrected that for you.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ArchRider

The air filter is a K&N.  It hasn't been on there for more than 5k.  I just pulled it out while checking the valve clearances and it looked good (I cleaned it anyway).  When I get it back together I'll see whether it helps.

And no, I dont'have a TuneECU but I have a friend who has a TuneBoy.  Are you suggesting I check the mapping?  I had the dealership check it about a year ago and they said it was correct for the TOR exhaust.

Where would I go to get the correct mapping so I could use my friend's tuner?

(And thanks for the replies.  I've been busy at work and haven't had time to check this post regularly.)

Bixxer Bob

You can't use his Tuneboy to map your bike, the software is locked to the ECU by serial number. You can use it for a looksee tho.  Tune ECU does the same, and can use the same cable, and its free, just follow the Tune ECU sticky.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ArchRider

So, what piece of hardware do you need to map the tuning?

Bixxer Bob

Just a laptop, the Tuneboy (or TuneECU) cable , the free TuneECU software downloaded and installed and the correct tune downloaded. Read this- http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8852

You'll have to read it a few times to get your head round it but your friend being familiar with Tuneboy will save some time as they are similar in function if completely different in appearance.  Good luck  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ArchRider

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to do this one soon especially since it shouldn't cost me a thing except a 6 of any British beer (the price of working in my friend's shop). :occasion14

blacktiger

anybody else smell ozone crackling ?

mod edit :  :wink:
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

:violent1

We have a bot in our midst I think......

Sin_Tiger

I thought you were just talking about Girly stuff that I didn't understand  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint