News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike Kept Outside - What to Do??

Started by Moorso, March 12, 2012, 01:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moorso

Hi Everyone

I was hoping to get a bit of advice from everyone on keeping my bike outside. She is currently safely locked up in my back yard - which is quite enclosed, but has no roof - I put a decent bike cover over her.

But I was wanting to ask how often I should start the bike up - run her etc. As over here, she isn't (presently) ridden that much, and I'm worried that keeping her outside and not running her will be detremental to the bike.

Any tips / hints / advice?
Or should the bike be okay?

As the Tiger is the best bike I've ever owned I am, perhaps, more concerned about these issues than I have been before.
Author of 'Valhalla and the Fjord'
Currently editing my second book: 'Hibernia - Journals from a Motorcycle'

Columnist for Motorcycle Explorer Magazine and Ulster Grand Prix

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

Moorso

I should have added, the reason I don't ride her all that frequently over here is that the weather here can be harsh (Ireland is green for a reason!). Is the cover enough?

Even as a grown man, I still don't know what I want to do - trying to become Ted Simon!!

2013 Triumph Explorer

MarkShelley

I think if I had to store my bike outside, albeit under a cover, I would apply a coating of ACF50 throughout the year. At present I do my bikes from October through to March.
It will not do the bike any good just starting it up for a few minutes. Best just leave it and plug it into an optimate every couple of weeks if you can`t leave it connected all the time. Make sure the chain always has plenty of lubricant on it as it will rust in no time.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

Moorso

Hi Mark

Many thanks for that - have ordered ACF50....have heard about htat stuff before - but have also heard you shouldn't put it on any rubber hosing etc? Have you any experience of this?

Many thanks for your help :D

2013 Triumph Explorer

Nick Calne

I take it you have the battery inside on a tender?

I had a bike outside for years and it doesn't do any harm unless you fail to clean and protected it when you get back.

Cold weather seems to cream cracker batteries though...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Moorso

Thanks guys

Genuinely appreciate the help.
She is clean, but could be cleaner afte rhte last run.

What I plan to do is take her up to my Dad's place (have the AutoGlym etc up there) and his awesome chamois leather etc, give her a spanking good clean, ACF50 her, and then put her back under the cover.

All weather permitting of course!
Why oh why could I not live in Spain?!

2013 Triumph Explorer

MarkShelley

Remove as much bodywork as you can be bothered to do. While you are doing this, if it is a cold day put the can in some hot water.Give the bike a good clean.Shake the can well. You should apply the ACF50 to pretty much everything metal, apart from brake discs. Cover your discs and calipers with bin liners. Make sure you don`t get any on the tyres, but if you do, just wipe it off completely. I only spray apply where I need to use the thin nozzle to get at an awkward place, otherwise it is easiest to spray it into the lid and apply using a 1" brush.  Apply sparingly as a little goes a long way and any excess will just end up on your drive!
I find one can is plenty to do two bikes.
You can do your full exhaust also. It is a good idea to open up electrical connectors and coat the terminals, or alternatively fill them with vaseline, or if you are feeling flush, dielectric silicon grease.
It will not hurt if you get it on plastic, in fact it makes it come up quite shiney.
My favourite part of the process is when you run the bike after doing it and clouds of smoke fill the air as it burns off on the engine/exhaust. It smells rather pleasant!
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

PeteH

I had mine outside for a while under a breathable cover and she did ok, moisture is a big problem for brakes..so make sure the pads are`nt sticking and spin the wheels occasionally to stop the pads welding themselves to the discs.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

mikeybikey57

Have you thought about one of these? http://www.coversformotorcycles.co.uk/m ... arages.htm               A mate uses one for his bike, which he commutes on every day and swears by it. It was a little pricey but he rates the build quality and reckons it'll last for years and years.
There\'s no point in worrying about life, because you\'ll never get out of it alive.

BigDan

mikeybikey is bang on. I had one for my last few bikes (sadly the one I have doesn't fit the tiger in it) and its a bloody cracker.

The thing with a cover, is that it doesn't let the bike breath and it stays in contact with the bike, meaning water cannot run off and stays in place. Even creates moisture inside.

These folding garages cost £80-£100 and are the best investment you can make. They are very strong in the wind, don't have to worry about them flying off or taking the bike over with them, you can even bolt them to the floor for extra security.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Moorso

Thanks guys....those folding garages look like the business! A £100 investment is worth it against the pain, heartache and expense of a damaged bike!

2013 Triumph Explorer

BigDan

Yes, just take a look at dimensions. Try and get a bigger one meant for tourers.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

NZDeano

Hi Moorso, I expect that Ireland is a lot like where I live on the Westcoast of the South Island of New Zealand (cool & wet & green) I have had a few bikes that have had to sit outside for one reason or another and all the above advice is spot on.  :idea: One thing I would add is that when you start her up for a run, it needs to be a good long hot one, otherwise you will get a lot of condensation in the oil that dosent burn off in a short period and condenses inside the motor. You need to get the oil good and hot. Also try and get some lube down inside the clutch & brake cables. Let some pressure out of the tires or better still place up on blocks (this has the additional advantage of being able to spin the wheels and apply the brakes)
To be sure - to be sure - by golly :lol:
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Moorso

Many many thanks guys - you've been a real help and fountain of knowledge. I had a chat with a mate, who had a similar scenario to me. He had made a really good job of roofing over his yard to make it a garage. This is what I plan to do in the next couple of months, then this will be resolved finally.

THe ACF50 arrived today (hurrah!) so that is the next thing to do.

Hi NZDeano - yes....I think our climates are quite alike. I had heard that there is no use or point in starting her up for 10 mins. I'd be better letting her sit unstarted rather than doing that. I plan to take her for a big big run before the cleaning process on Sunday or Monday.

2013 Triumph Explorer

NZDeano

Awesome Moorso,

hey that product ACF-50, I am not sure if we have that here in NZ. It probably is avaialble but I havent seen it (dont get out that much really) I was wondering if it is anything like "CRC anticorrosive" or is it more of a silicone based spray???
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400