News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1st Start after winter snooze

Started by Martin Butler, March 14, 2012, 09:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Butler

Hi, due to work I've not ridden my Girly since June 11, weather's improving and I want to go for a ride.  Appreciate advice about first start after sooo long.   Just go for it, take plugs out and spin on no load for couple of min or take rocker cover off and pour oil over cams as my mate at work does on his Ducati?  No work to a lot of time, is it worth it?  Also, due to my work patten I go for a few rides 1 week in 5, is there anything to get the oil pumping round the engine before starting?  Tried looking at previous posts couldn't find anything about winter lay ups and recommissioning, thought there would be, have I missed something.  All advice much appreciated, thanks

Chris Canning

Mine has stood for a while as it's been in bits,started the bike up let it tick over for 20 minutes with a few throttle blips along the way,make sure the motor is warm/hot and then drop the oil out,fresh oil and done that's it.

iansoady

I must say I always change the oil when it's been standing overnight (if not longer). With modern oils they don't need to be warm to drain fully (I suspect the advice to get it warm dates back to straight 50 grade and the like) and if the bike's been running there will be mucky old oil throughout the engine. Leaving it overnight makes sure you get the maximum of old stuff out as it's had a chance to drain down from the cylinder head, timing chain, gearbox etc. At least that's my view.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

KuzzinKenny

No idea if this helped my Tigger  :? mine had stood for 4 month  :shock: and before i fired her up (bike on centre stand and NO key in ignition) i put her in top gear and turned the back wheel over a few times  :? its hard to do but i thought it worth while  :)

mind and put her back into neutral    :oops:  :lol:

KK

ps after all these years, im still missin a kickstart  :lol:  :wink:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

ChazzyB

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"No idea if this helped my Tigger  :? mine had stood for 4 month  :shock: and before i fired her up (bike on centre stand and NO key in ignition) i put her in top gear and turned the back wheel over a few times  :? its hard to do but i thought it worth while  :)

I think you should also remove the plugs and put a squirt of oil into each cylinder.  :twisted:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Martin Butler

Thanks for the ideas.
The oil and rear wheel sounds good, I'll give it a try.
Great now the sun's out but they salted around here on Sunday night.
Don't think I can wait much longer now though!

Thanks again,

Martin.