News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

01 955i running rich and starting issues, Valve adjustment??

Started by gatorwesty, March 15, 2012, 09:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatorwesty

I have been running the offroad tune ecu tune since November and also most recently with the custom offroad ecu tune. I noticed that the throttle was not as snappy and had a hesitation at first blip on both offroad tunes. The bike just didnt seem to have instant power like it did. I have used both the k@n and the oem air filter with equal results. The bike is running very rich, lots of soot on the exhaust pipe which is offroad as well, hence the offroad tune.
The bike would not want to start below half tank on the guage as well. I have had recent starting issues in the am, when cold and it has become so unreliable that I dont dare to take it out of town.

Update: Last night I decided to load the oem non offroad tune for the hell of it. Well, instantly I noticed the hesitation in the throttle is gone, it starts emediately on firts turnover, and the front wheel comes off the ground again. It runs and revs much smoother and I am thrilled so far in the difference in the two tunes performance. I have owned the bike since new and have tried several offroad cans including staintune, and Rotle and now the oem offroad. I never had the offroad tune until it came available with ecu so I am new to this, but clearly my bike runs way better with the oem tune and the offroad exhaust. Granted this is only one day and I hope I am not premature in hoping that this fixed the starting issue and poor performance and poor gas mileage issue, but seat of the pants testing today, night and day difference.........

Mustang

metalguru

Sometimes for some unknown reason best known to our bikes the tune will all of a sudden corrupt itself and a reload is the cure. But just for assurance just unbolt the ecu and make sure the holes in the mudguard are filled and there are no signs of corrosion on the ecu case.
Nice to hear its fixed.

:thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

John Stenhouse

Must take that advice myself soon, I keep meaning to then it sort of slips my mind. I must write myself a note and stick it on the bike,    CHECK ECU!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

gatorwesty

Excellent suggestion, I think your right, everything works fine for a while and then the tune gets corrupted. I will check my ecu soon.
I ran it till the fuel light came on with no starting issues and running like a bat out of hell,  again.........yes!!

gatorwesty

wont start again.ugh

filled tank, loaded several tunes, checked codes, ran a few tests, so far just turns over and no attempt to fire. It is stuck at work so I have not pulled the ecu yet, will try that and look. Any other suggestions?

metalguru

Try looking at the sidestand switch, the wiring on the keyswitch, give it a wiggle, or the safety relay can all give these symptoms.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

gatorwesty

I was having issues with the sidestand switch, it was sticking closed and bike would die when I shifted in gear. I did some wd-40 but I think it still might have some issues. I wonder if it can be unplugged and run without it to test it?

iansoady

Quote from: "gatorwesty"I was having issues with the sidestand switch, it was sticking closed and bike would die when I shifted in gear. I did some wd-40 but I think it still might have some issues. I wonder if it can be unplugged and run without it to test it?

You need to short across the 2 connectors. Unplugging has the same effect as sidestand down.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Don't be tempted to bypass the switch instead of replacing it. There's a horror story that underlines the risk... A Guzzi rider bypassed his sidestand switch and rode off with it down. First left-hander launched him into the oncoming traffic and he was killed outright. His widow is struggling to get his life insurance to pay up.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

By pass is ok for checking it out but riding with it is a mod.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

gatorwesty

It started without doing anything else to it and I got it home and in the garage. I dont have the time to really work on it now, but I appreciate all the posts with suggestions. Another thing that I noticed is that water was on the inside of the fuel tank when I opened it  and not draining like it should. Maybe water in the fuel due to being outside in the rain for a couple of days. I have alot to sort out and little time or patience at the moment.

metalguru

That'll be the fuel cap drain blocked up. Gently send a piece of wire down the hole and it will exit under the tank where a flexible pipe drains to the ground, or if you have it, blow it clean with an air line.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

Noticed mine was blocked in just the same circumstances. About an egg cup full of water went in the tank when filling up. Ran like a dog for about 20 motorway  miles if I remember right. Drained the tank at home and found nearly 1/4 litre of water in the bottom of the tank so had been happening a while. Wire wouldn't budge mine, needed a small drill carefully worked in by hand from the bottom up. When you break through expect cruddy water up you sleeve :lol: