News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sold! Poor girl needs a new sugar daddy (96 Steamer in OR)

Started by Sinnergy, March 16, 2012, 11:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinnergy

...well, traded.

Next month it will be two years since I've ridden old reliable.  That's just no way to treat a lady.

This is one well-used Tiger, and I don't want to pretend otherwise, but with a little love and attention, it'll go anywhere.  

It has been laid down on all six sides at different times, but always got up and rode home.  It has 14K miles showing on the clock, but the reality is that I snapped the speedo cable on the first day of almost every trip--every time I did a wheelie, it seems.  My guess is that it is peobably closer to something between 40 and 60K.  She's been to 44 US states, and four countries.  The current engine has about 28K miles on it, but I have the original (still in good shape--its a long story).  The bodywork and tank are done in black Rhinocoat (spray-on bedliner).  Both mufflers have been replaced with Yoshimura Stainless cans (sound great).  All the turn signals are aftermarket, the headlamps are upgraded H4 Halogens, and the seat is a Corbin.

It was making some bad noises a while back, and It sure sounded like the motor to me (turned out to be a carb problem, not engine).  Before I could find another engine, I bought a bimmer, and while it doesn't have near the twist-and-go of the tiger, and I can't wheelie with it on a bet, I've gotten used to it.  I finally did find another good motor, and swapped them, only to have it make the exact same noises.  It turned out that it was a problem with the carbs and rebuilding them made it purr again.

As noted, though, I was already headed off on the BMW, and I never have put all the bodywork, etc. back on.

Now it has sat (indoors) for most of two years, and I don't want to see her like this.  For $2K (see below) you get a bike that needs some final reassembly and a carb synch, the original engine, and whatever other spare parts I have laying around.  The Oregon title is in my name, branded with 'previous damage' (Duh).

Drop me a note if you're interested.

Thanks for reading.

Sinnergy

This is a discussion, not a demand...  What do you think I should be asking for her?

Thanks,

Mustang

finish the assembly and 2k is a fair price ................ :wink:

Sinnergy

Thanks for the note, Mustang.  Biz has taken off the last year and change, and I've spent every hour away from it trying to recapture 'the ride'.  I don't at all mean to make little of your advice (which is always good), but I'd rather ride than tinker right now.

From '98 to '05, I was putting an average of 25K miles per year on a short list of the bikes.  Last year, I put 6K on the BMW, and less than another K on the rest combined.

I'm serious about making a price for 'The Princess' that will find her a good home that really appreciates her, and will put in the time to put her back on the road.

Thanks

Sinnergy

As much as I like Mustang's approach, I've now spent another week trying to make time to get out there and work on putting her back together.  If there's any interest, drop me a line.  I'll take $1100 or a close offer for the bike, and I'll ebay the extra motor.  If it doesn't move soon, I guess (whimper... sniff...) I'll take her down to the breakers and havem 'em part her out.

'Tis the season... I need to ride, not wrench.  Baja to Pt. Barrow is the goal this year.

Thanks.

Sinnergy

Well... I'm Tiger-less.  It has been a long time, and there's a bit of a Sniff in the process.  A young guy took her home last night, and I'm hoping that there's some energy in youth to put her back on the road.  I've promised support (and didn't exactly take top dollar).

My best to all,

Sinn'

Me_Rock

Hey, I'm that young guy! I got her roadworthy in just about a day and some change - it's going to take me another couple of days to get the rest of the little things sorted out... This site has been very helpful in finding the appropriate body mounting hardware! By the way - do you happen to have the clear lexan part that belongs on the windshield, by any chance?

You will definitely be hearing from me later this summer about some further rhino-coating. Some of the rusty bits (bag mounts, handle bars, etc.) I will be sandblasting and repainting. I might even do the exhaust header while I'm at it.

Anyway, I'm back up in Spokane finishing up the Spring quarter for the next couple of weeks, so the bike is on pause for now (Parked in a nice corner of a dry garage, hooked up to a Battery Tender). Don't worry though - she's in good hands! She has quite a bit of commuting duties (100 miles/day) planned for this summer. Also, a road trip or two if I can find the time!