News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Smacked handlebar - now out of line - what to do?

Started by NZDeano, March 17, 2012, 08:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZDeano

I recently smacked my left hand bar into something rather hard at about 50km and broke off the mirror. The handlebar and clamp is now slightly out of line, and feels so slightly weired when riding. tolerable, but off putting. Want to right, but not sure what to do. Any suggestions apart from obviously measuring to get it right, but what & where do I loosen it off to adjust the whole handlebar & clamp to move. is it the steering head?
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

MarkShelley

If the forks are slightly twisted just release the pinch bolts on the bottom yoke, pump the forks a few times, and retighten.  This usually sorts it.
Are you sure the bars ar not bent?
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

NeilD

cant remember on the Tiger if the bar 'risers' are bolted on or cast into the top yoke? if its the former then worth checking that the bolt hasnt bent.. had that on my other triumph, I replaced the bars after and 'off' but never fealt quite right till i discovered the bent bolt which was putting the riser every so slightly 'off'..

Ironhorse

The bars bend very easily when stressed. They can also be creatively returned to straight. Two strong guys at the same time can usually put them close. If it is just twisted forks then you can loosen the triple clamps pinch bolts and put the straight. Trial and error until you get them right. If it is the bars, chances are you will always see a slight bit out of alignment.

Joe

Nick Calne

Agree with most of the above - I reckon, loosen the forks off and re-align and if necessary replace handlebars.  That sort of slight 'handlebar asymmetry' thing is very distracting.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Timbox2

My bike fell over at a standstill and bent the bars, so at 50Kmh id be surprised if they aint bent
2016 Tiger Sport

NZDeano

Cheers guy's for all reply's. So just had another look with this info in mind. Not having any real subjective way of measuring it all precisely and just using my eye and quick ruler measurement, I reckon its the forks. The handlebars look OK and not bent (f...n amazing really) It actually smacked the hand gaurd first, then deflected to the mirror so the bar didnt take the brunt of it.
If I get the front wheel lined up as best possible with the rear wheel,    then measure from the handlebar clamps to the same point on the tank filler (that is asuming the tank is centered) I get a few millimeteres difference.
So will do the suggested tomorrow and come back to it if all does not go well.
Thanks.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Sin_Tiger

The only way to be sure about the bars is to take them off and measure then on a flat surface with a square. I bought new bars after a drop, on my dealers mechanics advice only later to put them on my bench and measure them up perfectly  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NZDeano

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"The only way to be sure about the bars is to take them off and measure then on a flat surface with a square. I bought new bars after a drop, on my dealers mechanics advice only later to put them on my bench and measure them up perfectly  :roll:

Good point mate. I will do this too. Thanks.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400