News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does the 12 Minute Tune reset....

Started by atokad, April 06, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atokad

to the Stock tune settings?  I have the TOR pipe and was thinking of doing the 12 minute tune, bike seems a bit glitchy at lower idle speeds, but wasn't sure if it would reset my TOR tune?

Mustang

no the tune will stay the same what the 12 minute tune does is reset the parameters for fuel trim tps position etc . and starts again with a clean slate that  the ecu uses to start resetting parameters back to optimum settings

the TOR tune that is loaded in your ecu will still remain the same

atokad

Quote from: "Mustang"no the tune will stay the same what the 12 minute tune does is reset the parameters for fuel trim tps position etc . and starts again with a clean slate that  the ecu uses to start resetting parameters back to optimum settings

Thanks Mustang!

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "atokad"
Quote from: "Mustang"no the tune will stay the same what the 12 minute tune does is reset the parameters for fuel trim tps position etc . and starts again with a clean slate that  the ecu uses to start resetting parameters back to optimum settings

Thanks Mustang!

When you say it "resets tps position", does it reset it to a pre-programmed default value, OR does it read the current value of a closed throttle and sets it to that? In other works, would the 12 minute tune acomplish the same thing as a TuneECU TPS zero position calibration?
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

paging bixxerbob to the tuneecu courtesy phone >>>>>>>>>>>

metalguru

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"In other works, would the 12 minute tune acomplish the same thing as a TuneECU TPS zero position calibration?

TBH what is the point?
Connect TuneEcu and reset tps, it can be seen to reset the running value within seconds.
No need to waste time, fuel and patience when you could be out riding the girl. The more you ride it, the better the adaptation will be, as long as it doesn't surge and goes well, leave well alone and ride it.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"paging bixxerbob to the tuneecu courtesy phone >>>>>>>>>>>

:ImaPoser

The answer is what MetalGuru said, but to go back on your detail:

When you say it "resets tps position", does it reset it to a pre-programmed default value, OR does it read the current value of a closed throttle and sets it to that? In other works, would the 12 minute tune acomplish the same thing as a TuneECU TPS zero position calibration?

It reads the current "closed throttle" position and calls that zero.  You will then find that full throttle is around 74%.  This is normal, you will not get a 100% reading.

The 12 min tune resets the trims back to nominal, it does nothing to, and has nothing to do with, the throttle position.

Throttle position is just that, nothing more.  The TPS will read a nominal resistance at closed throttle.  Resetting calls that resistance value zero.  It will then calculate the position of the throttle based on the resistance it reads on the TPS.  If you reset the TPS with the throttle part open, the ECU will then be using that as zero and will use the wrong part of the fuelling map for all throttle positions.  Not good.

The 12 min tune resets the fuelling trims back to nominal values so the bike may run better, it may run worse.  It will then re-trim itself using the output from the O2 sensor.  AS I said, nothing to do with throttle.

Hope that helps :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ChazzyB

I have recently read (I can't remember where, but I recall it being a factory document) that ECU adaption takes place ONLY when a certain set of conditions are met. Off the top of my head, They include:-

1. Engine (coolant) up to running temperature
2. Airbox temperature between x and y (reasonable ambient temperature range plus a bit). NOT I'd suggest, air box temperature when its stood running for 12 minutes)
3. Engine idling for 60 seconds
4. No inputs from anything (throttle, clutch, others maybe).

I've just read elsewhere of 30 seconds and minimum airbox of 21C.

12 minute tune appears to relate to Keihin systems, not Sagem.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

I think you mean the alternative to 12 min tune I posted a while back.  It's how the dealer is supposed to trim the bike before delivering it when new.  It's in the stickies.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

As I first thought when reading all the info I could find about mapping/remapping, that adaptation was reported only with the Keihin system and not the Sagem.
However,
Every time I alter my modded map (on version 4:2 now) it does seem to take a few cycles of hot/cold, start/stop/ride, before it all settles down. I can only assume as there is no formal back-up that the Sagem system to a point will carry out adaptation although it is a rather simple creature.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "metalguru"
Quote from: "haroldo_psf"In other works, would the 12 minute tune acomplish the same thing as a TuneECU TPS zero position calibration?

TBH what is the point?
Connect TuneEcu and reset tps, it can be seen to reset the running value within seconds.
No need to waste time, fuel and patience when you could be out riding the girl. The more you ride it, the better the adaptation will be, as long as it doesn't surge and goes well, leave well alone and ride it.

that's the whole point. I can't for the life of me get TuneECU to connect. I have the correct driver emailed to me by BixxerBob a while back (2.06). I have the correct ODBII (or whatever its called) cable, specified in a thread here or on the TuneECU dev site, can't remember. I have tried multiple computers. It doesn't connect.

I think this never worked on an 885i, and only 955i and above. If anyone has ever sucessfully used TuneECU on an 885i, please speak up.

So, I cannot use TuneECU to do anything because it just doesn't connect.

I know my connector on the bike works because the dealer was able to load different maps, etc last time the bike was there. So, it's something with the TuneECU setup that just won't work.
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"

It reads the current "closed throttle" position and calls that zero.  You will then find that full throttle is around 74%.  This is normal, you will not get a 100% reading.

The 12 min tune resets the trims back to nominal, it does nothing to, and has nothing to do with, the throttle position.

Sorry man, you are contradicting yourself. Does the 12 minute tune resets the TPS zero position or not? You say it does, and then you say it doesn't. Which one is it?

Thanks
2000 Tiger 885i

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"

Sorry man, you are contradicting yourself. Does the 12 minute tune resets the TPS zero position or not? You say it does, and then you say it doesn't. Which one is it?

Thanks
2000 Tiger 885i

metalguru

AAAHHH the root of the problem.

Not knowing what you have, the best way is to start again. All the downloads are available from the website.
Do not install the drivers that came with he cable, download the driver on TuneEcu website. Follow instructions to the letter.
It is a requisite that a full understanding of TuneEcu and its capabilities are reserched and understood before playing and connecting to your bike. Misunderstanding can brick the ECU.

TuneECU worked very well on my 885i although if I remember through the mist that LTFT is greyed out and adjustment is carried out via maps.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

metalguru

BB is quite correct in what he says,
TRIMS are different to THROTTLE position.
12 minute tune will read the throttle at the closed position voltage and not reset. This voltage can be variable to a point and limit due to wear and manufacturing tolerance.
TPS reset is a command not a running setting or trim, likewise IACV reset.

Good undersanding of TuneEcu is essential.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers