News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i Tiger.. My issues & possible fixes !!! Help !

Started by tedmagnum, April 12, 2012, 05:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"WRT surging, although I have great respect for BixxerBob, the solution to mine was a modified map. You do need Tuneboy or TuneECU - but as these are so useful I'd get one or the other as a matter of course.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ian, and of course  you are right that a custom map can help enormously, and it's worth blowing in whatever is the right map for the bike in case it's corrupt because that is a quick and easy fix. But it won't fix it if you don't have the basics right.  (BTW, for the benefit of new readers, a corrupt map is often caused by a low battery voltage. These Sagem ECUs hate low volts).

The basics are: valve clearances, air leaks, TB balance,  new plugs and air filter, IACV working correctly.  Once you are sure they are ALL right, then you can start on the custom maps :wink:

And when is Mustang going to put this in the Girly section? :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Quote from: "tedmagnum"Top jobs are giving this old girl a full service (with valves) and sorting out the surging using Tune Ecu *gulp*

Have modified a map that will transform the way your bike runs in traffic and still return 50mpg (uk) at 90mph (with the 19t sprocket).
Pm your email if interested.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

tedmagnum

Quote from: "metalguru"
Quote from: "tedmagnum"Top jobs are giving this old girl a full service (with valves) and sorting out the surging using Tune Ecu *gulp*

Have modified a map that will transform the way your bike runs in traffic and still return 50mpg (uk) at 90mph (with the 19t sprocket).
Pm your email if interested.

PM sent...

:D

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"And when is Mustang going to put this in the Girly section? :D
happy now?

metalguru

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"The basics are: valve clearances, air leaks, TB balance,  new plugs and air filter, IACV working correctly.  Once you are sure they are ALL right, then you can start on the custom maps :wink:

:iagree

All these checks must be done before any re-mapping taking place.

2 mins difference on that one BB.

Great minds think alike.......or is it the one about seldom differ? :ImaPoser
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

What we need is a re-mapping weekend  :D ,never mind camping in a field talking b*****ks,although the way mine has changed since I had it put in a year ago is remarkable.

metalguru

OOOOEEEEERRRRRR

I can see an oppertunity to earn some free beer.

Anyone for a remap after the third beer?

Back to talking b*****ks in a field.  :occasion14

:ImaPoser
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Timbox2

Quote from: "tedmagnum"...................I've downloaded all the software and maps. I'm not sure which map is mine though. I can't make sense of the VIN number ranges !!

My Vin ends in 2160292

Ref Your vin no, its the last 6 numbers so 160292, the 2 before it is model year, 02 in your case.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

When I had a new map put in the end of 010 my seat of the bum dyno said it was making at least another 5+hp and it was as crisp as a pin picked up off the throttle like never before and if I'd have had to go a distance on it,it would driven me nuts with vibration,the crisp edge has dropped off and so has the vibes,so it'll do  :D

metalguru

Quote from: "Chris Canning"When I had a new map put in the end of 010 my seat of the bum dyno said it was making at least another 5+hp and it was as crisp as a pin picked up off the throttle like never before and if I'd have had to go a distance on it,it would driven me nuts with vibration,the crisp edge has dropped off and so has the vibes,so it'll do  :D

Like us these bikes are individuals so one map may suit one but not another, same as tuning carbs in the old days, the settings would be different for each bike even if the same model.

The vibes are the give away there Chris, in the carb days it would have been the needle profile and now it's numbers in boxes........

Now then if someone has a mobile rolling road, lappy and a nice pub we certainly could cause some entertainment.
Could imagine the HP claims after a few beers......bit like the big fish that got away.

:ImaPoser
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

What I was pointing out there's no such thing as a free lunch and while mine felt really good riding round the block,long distance was a no go'er,as far as low down is concerned is concerned it's only a problem if I want to make it one,just ride it either on or off the throttle and it's fine,it's like the stodgy front end,keep braking sharp with just the front brakes it's a ball ache,dab the back one first and it solves the problem,cat and skin are the words  :D

Of course 15wt and springs also solve the problem :roll:

NZDeano

Just a thought regarding that surging. Are you sure you will be keeping the pipe / can. Mine (03) was a pig around town & had a terrible idle. I did check the standard things that BB had suggested, and it improved the idle but not the surging, but then got a new can & the re-map that went with that particular can. Now it goes just like it should. Be a bugger to get it right, then change cans & be back to problems again.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Marc

@Ironhorse

QuoteReroute you cable to the right side of the engine and carefully take the sharp bend out of the lower part of the cable housing. That is the steel tube I am referring to.

This made a huge difference in the required pull at the lever.

Could you possibly post a picture?
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

tedmagnum

Quote from: "Marc"@Ironhorse

QuoteReroute you cable to the right side of the engine and carefully take the sharp bend out of the lower part of the cable housing. That is the steel tube I am referring to.

This made a huge difference in the required pull at the lever.

Could you possibly post a picture?

Yeah, the 45 degree angle does look a little unnecessary.  One for the vice I think...

Anyone tried the 595 clutch lever ??  Apparently it fits and it has an adjuster wheel so you can bring it closer to the bar...

I've also found on other bikes that moving the brake lever along a little so you use the end of the lever rather than the middle will make it easier as it is effect, making the lever longer...

blacktiger

Quote from: "tedmagnum"Anyone tried the 595 clutch lever ??  Apparently it fits and it has an adjuster wheel so you can bring it closer to the bar...

I've never heard of that one before. These bikes do have a heavy clutch pull as standard. What I have heard and do know for sure is that the lever/spindle/lifter sticking out the top of the clutch housing changed on the 06 model which has the 1050 crank cases and has a longer lever on that, so the pull at the top end is reduced. All the bits needed to swap that comes to around £75. First thing to try though, is to get some lube down the cable.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.