News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Are the front rims tubeless style?

Started by Ironhorse, April 17, 2012, 05:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhorse

I have two sets of wheels for my 2001 Tiger. I sealed up the rear to go tubeless with no issues. The rim is definitely tubeless with a safety bead formed into the rim.

When I removed the front tire to seal the wheel, I found it didn't have the same safety bead as the rear. It had a good wide flat for the tire to seat on and against, but no safety bead. It still took a bead breaker to demount the tire but not as much force required to do so.

I am still planning on running these tubeless. Am I wrong to want to do this? Joe

Mustang

they will work fine many before you have done the same thing

2004Tiger

I sealed my front and rear spoked wheels a few years ago and have had no regrets, or leaks. I used black Permatex Silicon. They seem to leak less than when I had tubes, and over the winter with no riding I lost only 2 psi. What is the change interval for the old air in the tires?   :)
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Chad

Quote from: "Ironhorse"I have two sets of wheels for my 2001 Tiger. I sealed up the rear to go tubeless with no issues. The rim is definitely tubeless with a safety bead formed into the rim.

When I removed the front tire to seal the wheel, I found it didn't have the same safety bead as the rear. It had a good wide flat for the tire to seat on and against, but no safety bead. It still took a bead breaker to demount the tire but not as much force required to do so.

I am still planning on running these tubeless. Am I wrong to want to do this? Joe

i will be interested to see how you do this , and the results :D
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

iansoady

This is how I did mine:

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-worksho ... aling.html

No problems at all.

Although the front wheel does not have a ridge, I question whether it really makes any difference whether you have a tubed or tubeless tyre fitted if there is a catastrophic deflation. The tube would do little or nothing to keep the tyre on - all that could do this is a security bolt (I think called rimlocks in some parts of the world).

The chances of such a deflation are far higher with a tube anyway as once punctured the tube tends to rip and the air gushes out (partly past the spoke nipples). With tubeless, there is usually some self sealing effect.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Is it just me?  I've never, ever had a front puncture.  plenty of rears, but never a front. Maybe I've just been lucky  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chad

i had one on my GS in france  just about to tip into the bend on a sliproad :shock:  not nice with a passenger on board , the beauty of the tubeless was a quick fix with a plug  :D  nice when you want to get off the motorway sharpish  :lol:
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

XJC

Not a puncture as such but I hit a brick on the motorway. Prolly too close to the car in front. Anyway, this resulted in a bent rim and a crack in the alloy just where the spoke meets the rim.

A new wheel and floating rotors ain't gonna be cheap.  :(

X.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.