News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SS bolts - loose

Started by BruKen, April 27, 2012, 01:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

That's an even better idea. The copperslip is going to be a sod to remove now tho..... the irony ... LOL

JetdocX

I'll second the blue loctite suggestion.  Put enough in there and the galvanic corrosion might not be too much of a problem.

PS.  I know what OCD is.  What is AR? :P
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"PS.  I know what OCD is.  What is AR? :P

Anal Retentive

BruKen

You just can't slip one past Mustang  :lol:  :lol:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "BruKen"That is not without some merit I'd suppose. Afterall the torque of a bolt is there to define its torsion isn't it?. And different alloys will stretch differently. Kind of reminds me of my sea days. Some of the engine mounting nuts were larger than me. To tighten them we would hydraulicly stretch the bolt and then wind the nut on. Release hydraulic tension and the bolt contracted pulling the nut tight. Thermal expansion could ultimately do the same thing. Though it must be said, the crank covers never get particularly hot.

Honest, I just don't know.

Torque settings do much the same. When calculating the torque setting for a bolt the engineer is working out how much it can be stretched before it's elastic limit is reached less a safety factor thus using tension (the stretching of the bolt) to hold whatever it's fixing in place.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Mustang"The oem bolts are flanged head hex bolts

which have far superior holding power to covers and such

I can't see from the photo but I'm guessing the flanges have serrations on the underside thus acting as a mechanical fixing ie lockwasher?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

some do some don't , can't remember if the tigger ones do or not , but they certainly stay tight on all the covers .

BruKen

Do they do them in SS so I can do an empirical test though?  
 :lol:

Not to worry, I am going to try spring washers. The standard fit washer doesn't fit all the recesses  aesthetically.

JetdocX

Maybe it's TMI, but everything in my anus is moving through at a high rate of speed in the out direction. :lol:

RETENTIVE, NO.
From parts unknown.

BruKen

Nothing personal.  :lol:  On last year's tiger camp and ride out it was quite an education on the demographic of tiger ownership. When I go to Beemer camp outs the demographic is IT, marketing, sales etc. The personality follows suit. With tigers, the demographic was engineers, architects and the like.
I'm a science major myself. But from way back since Uni days, there has always been a joshing rivalry between the two faculties. Engineers, like to work with hard sciences like mathematics, where as the pure sciences are mostly theoretical. In this question above, I have plenty theories, but I need (would like) a hard answer. The mathematical brain of a good engineer is by nature is a bit OCD and AR, yes?   :lol:

BruKen

Let me help you out, conversely, you'd say the scientist is fickle and whimsical ( to the latest convenience / fad theory that joins the dots......)

My bad, I forgot, good engineers lack a sense of humour   :wink:

JetdocX

I am currently stumped. So I deflect with humor. :lol:
From parts unknown.

rf9rider

Quote from: "JetdocX"I am currently stumped. So I deflect with humor. :lol:

I think we all are  :lol:

Colonel Nikolai

Steamer owners are either old enough to have bought them new or strange enough to keep a 16 year old bike on the road. I am both old and strange. And in I.T. And although I was born in Bavaria, and went to university there, you will not see any Bavarian Motor Werk thing in my garage anytime soon.

On rebuilding a dead Buell XB9S last winter I decided that blue (and sometimes even red) Loctite was the answer to most problems having to do with correct torque settings. The Buell factory manual even says so. Mind you this has a lot to do with the fact that the engine is a 45ยบ V-twin that vibrates like a jackhammer. There is no bolt, not kidding; not one single bolt on that engine that doesn't get some amount of goo suggested in the manual on reassembly.

So a little bit of blue will not hurt the steamer, I think.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"I am currently stumped. So I deflect with humor. :lol:

With you there but it sometimes backfires on me :wink:  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint