News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Boogggggg 98 Steamer.

Started by Papalobster, May 22, 2012, 03:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papalobster

Great sob story, if you want to get to the meat of the technical matter, just skip this paragraph. I took my KTM out for a spin in March, got some nice trail riding in, then took a bit of a tumble at low speed, fell sideways and broke the end of my radius bone off. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I finally get my cast off, but doc says no bikes for a couple weeks yet. I'll show him! I get the Steamer out of storage, clean it up a bit and it fires right up. I go for a little ride around town and Holy Feck! Does that hurt! Not healed enough yet I guess. Wait a week n a half, try again. This time I actually get to go all the way to work. But Holy Feck! Same deal.  Fast Forward to today, gear up, top off the tank and head out from the gas station and Boooooggggggggg. FECK!

I had to replace the ignition pick up last year, but this is a different failure. Previously, it wouldn't even start when warm.  And the pick up fixed that.  Now it idles fine, but when I add any throttle, it bogs, sputters and dies. I don't think it's fuel related though. It sounds like the plugs aren't firing correctly. New spark plugs, new gas. The engine wasn't warmed up yet, so that points me away from the ignition pick up too.  I haven't had time to dive into it, that whole job thing gets in the way.

Anyone offer insight? Tips?  I'd really hate to park it and have to ride the wifes CM400A

Mustang

plugged pilot jets from sitting and not being used ...............almost can guarantee it .
simple fix to try first
dump about a half a can of sea foam in it , auto zone 10 bucks a can works great

let it sit for a day in the tank with the petcock open then get it started and ride it , they generally come out of it this way after 20 miles or so .

other problem could be a critter made a home in your airbox , but I suspect an ethanol mess in the float bowls from lack of use .

if the sea foam doesn't cure it ........time to pull the carbs and clean em the hard way
 also check your fuel for water ....pull the fuel line off the petcock stick a clear plastic bottle under the tap and set to reserve , fill the bottle let it settle
any water in the fuel should show up .

Papalobster

When I put it away for the winter there was Seafoam in the tank/bowls for winter storage. Great stuff. I use it in all my gas powered things.

And it ran fine for the first 200 or so miles I got in this year already. If it were the pilots, what are the chances of them getting clogged after a tank of gas has been run through? All 3 at the same time? I'll check for water, but I doubt I'll find any.

No ethanol gas goes into my bikes!

Mustang

Quote from: "Papalobster"when I add any throttle, it bogs, sputters and dies. I don't think it's fuel related though.
It's the pilots ..............................chase your tail if you want , but it's the pilots

metalguru

Quote from: "Mustang"It's the pilots ..............................chase your tail if you want , but it's the pilots

+1    

:iagree

Wish I had a pound for every pilot I've cleaned out over the years after bikes have been put away for the Winter. It is really, REALLY, good to drain the carb bowls and the tank before putting it to bed. The tank has to be drained as the fuel tap may seep slightly. This very simple operation can be carried out without major surgery and very basic tools found in the tool kit. Or buy some warm clothing and ride it...lol.

Rant over.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Papalobster

The gas was clean and clear as were the bowls. The passages are clean. All vents were open and the filter was clean and no fuel line kinks.

No water, no contamination, no dirt, no spooge. It runs fine on the pilot circuit, just not anywhere else.

Coils looked good, no cracks or anything. I checked gap on the pick up coil. Didn't check resistance as my meter is at work.

Mustang

seen it too many times ..been there done that so to speak
Keihins..correct?

pilot circuit is just off idle up to 4k after that the needles come into play .
what happens on full choke ?

Papalobster

Full choke will rev a bit, but fall on it's face with any application of power. Darn thing ran awesome last week and them bowls were squeaky clean!

I added a 1/2 can of seafoam, revved it up and blocked the air intake tube thing. It'll create a bit of suction then sputter out. I'll let it soak again overnight like that. No more time to tear into anything until Monday, figure I'll give the carbs a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner as long as it's apart next week.

Mustang

worse under load while actually riding the bike ?

can you coax it past 4-5 k rpm using easy throttle application ? and if you can does it seem to come out of it in the upper rpms like say 5-7 k rpm

if the answers to the above are yes

there are three things that cause it

The #1 spot is occupied by dirty pilot jets and or missing oring and washer from the pilot screws or plugged passage way from the pilot screws

#2 honors go to missing blanking cap on the right hand snorkel

and #3 ..........if it's a 98 with OEM GILL coils , the wiring in the internal windings of the coil has actually corroded away and left spots were the current has to jump the gap the longer it has to jump the gap the bigger the gap gets until one day it can no longer do it .
with bad gill coils , under a load on the engine at anything under 3500 rpm she usually will have a definite misfire  and come out of it pretty cleanly above 5 grand
your coils should ohm out at .6 for resistance , but heres the kicker even a bad gill coil will usually test good at .6 ohm .

the coils usually don't cause the kind of bog you are describing  though , the pilots cause what you are describing , especially where you have said your bike has been sitting basically idle since march due to injury.

it's a lot cheaper to strip and clean the carbs vs spending $200 plus on some new nology coils or 300 on oem gill junk , only to have to clean the pilots when the coils didn't fix it

and BTW I've seen times when ultra sonic bath doesn't work as good as good ol compressed air .
physically remove the pilots and soak em in carb cleaner like GUMOUT overnite and then shoot some air thru em , you'll be surprised  :shock:

Papalobster

Nope, can't get into the upper range at all even with the choke on. That's why I was thinking it wasn't the pilot circuit.

Right side cap is in place. Stock Gill coils.

Pine Sol in the ultrasonic cleaner. Rinse, blow em dry.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

Mustang

Quote from: "Papalobster"Nope, can't get into the upper range at all even with the choke on.
that rules out the coils almost certainly then
time for some carb 101 maint.

let us know what fixes it
I got a Tiger Triple sticker for ya if its other than carbs ..........

metalguru

Quote from: "Papalobster"Pine Sol in the ultrasonic cleaner. Rinse, blow em dry.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

This stuff is impressive, does anyone know what this is in the UK?
The degreaser I use makes aluminium fizz.

Thanks for the tip.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Papalobster

Quote from: "metalguru"This stuff is impressive, does anyone know what this is in the UK?
The degreaser I use makes aluminium fizz.

Thanks for the tip.

Dettol? Has pine oil in it, but not sure if it's the same. According to the MSDS it has a similar amount of pine oil as does Pine Sol.

Otherwise

metalguru

this sounds like a plan,
Thank you
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Bixxer Bob

What you using to make the ally fizz then MG?

And let us know how you get on with the Sainsbury's or Dettol :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...