News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Progressive fork springs.

Started by GavD, May 26, 2012, 07:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Hey guys, I've just won a set of Hagon progressive springs off ebay for £20, and have been browsing through the how to section but can't seem to find alot of info on changing them.

Mine's a 98 with Showa's. Is it just a case of removing the cap, hooking out the original springs, drain & measure the oil that comes out, replace with same amount of new oil, drop new springs in and bung it all back together?

Or have I just bought something I'll never use cos it's too complicated??

Cheers
Gav
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Mustang

Quote from: "GavD"Hey guys, I've just won a set of Hagon progressive springs off ebay for £20, and have been browsing through the how to section but can't seem to find alot of info on changing them.

Mine's a 98 with Showa's. Is it just a case of removing the cap, hooking out the original springs, drain & measure the oil that comes out, replace with same amount of new oil, drop new springs in and bung it all back together?

Or have I just bought something I'll never use cos it's too complicated??

Cheers
Gav
you got it
tightly wound coils to the top ,

I've got the triumph ones that used to be available from triumph in my 95 not a whole lot if any determinable difference YMMV

if ya want to stiffen things up put some 10 or 15 wt fork oil back in , actually seems to help better than the springs

GavD

Thanks Mustang,

I knew i could rely on you!

:thumbsup

Geoff W

I put some Hagon Prog's into mine some 5 or so years ago. They certainly reduced the dive under braking and firmed up the ride in general. They did seem to raise the ride height by approximately 1/2 an inch.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

rybes

Gav. i got hyper pros in mine and ya might like to know that the manual for fittin em suggests droppin em through the forks by 25mm.
mine are like that and it hqandles a treat. got 15wt oil in em but im thinkin of usin 10 wt jus to stiffen em up a tad more.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

GavD

QuoteGav. i got hyper pros in mine and ya might like to know that the manual for fittin em suggests droppin em through the forks by 25mm.
mine are like that and it hqandles a treat. got 15wt oil in em but im thinkin of usin 10 wt jus to stiffen em up a tad more.

Rybes, do you mean raising the forks through the yokes?? If so I've alreading got mine raised by 10mm (i.e. the bike sits a bit lower at the front)

If you don't mean that, how do you drop the springs through the forks??

Also I thought if you used a lower wt oil it's less viscous and therefore would be softer.

Cheers
Gav

rybes

yeah sorry mate shouldve made it a bit clearer. put ya forks throo 25 mm not the springs.
i thought the lower the number the thicker the oil. hmm ill have t wait till mustang comes back to correct me :lol:

Mustang

bigger # =thicker oil
manual recommends 10 wt ...15 wt will stiffen things up . :D

rybes

see told ya :lol:

done some research and apparently, these are the best forks you can get

its just findin some  :?:

theclowncrusty

My nan has a whole draw full of forks looking like that when i go round for dinner. Might nick a pair and fit them to the Steamer. LOL
Crusty

rybes

Gav. what do the springs you won look like ? the reason i ask is im takin apart a pair of forks for the stanchions to put the 3 spokes on and ive found these forks have progressive springs in em. they look odd tho cos the spring goes all the way to the top of the fork leg so theres no spacer under the top cap.
are they like yours, if not does anyone know who the manufacturer might be ?

GavD

Unfortunately Rybes they still look like this. Not really had the chance to get her up on blocks and drop the forks out to get em changed. Partly because the weathers been so shite that I didn't want to miss out on a sunny day if it cropped up and partly because I've been a lazy b'stard.

I've measured them at 652mm long if that's any good to ya.

Sin_Tiger

You should be able to do it in situ without dropping the forks, unless you want to take the forks out just for thte hell of it  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Unfortunately I've got the ones without the drain bolts and i wanna change the oil, so i'll have to drop em out.

rybes

measured my springs today and their the same length as yours Gav so im guessin they mus be the same make. cheers for measurin em  :wink: