News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

loose head bearins

Started by rybes, June 03, 2012, 05:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

If you look at pic no 386 in that thread, looks to me like the bearing cup is missing?

Shame i`m off to Gran Canaria on Thursday else i`d have a ride over mate.

rybes

i got given the number of a bloke breakin a steamer so im gunna give him a ring later tday and see if he has a bearin cup. i see what ya mean rf i can see it could be missin. im off in the garage later to see. ill post some pics of it too
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Quote from: "rybes"just a pain in the arse cos i gotta knock out the top bearing now and it was a nightmare to get out.  :evil:

Just read this bit again.

The top bearing should just sit in the cup, you shouldn`t have had to knock it in or bang it out, it should just lift out mate.

Sounds like the cup was missing and the bearing has been knocked into the frame with no cup, unless the cup has been knocked out and not been put back in.

rybes

ah righto nice one mate. im now off out to have a look at it. so hopefully thats what it is and hopefully i can get 1 today

rybes

right. heres a pic of the top of me headstock minus the bearin. has it got a bearin cup in it ? i dont think that its the ring you can see as ive tried knockin it out and it wont move. my guess is im missin mine but as i dont remember seein one i dunno what they look like.

rf9rider

Your cup is missing mate.

I`m sure i`ve got a pic of one somewhere, give me a minute  :)

rf9rider

Here you go mate

http://www.imcomarine.com/cal_store/med ... 0-2040.jpg

You knock this into the headstock, then the taper bearing just sits in it.

It usually comes as part of the kit when you buy new taper head bearings.

Mustang

look's like mystery solved ...................

rybes

yea i got that bit. they always come with the bearin as a pair or is that another part that just happens to look the same ? id just knocked it out so i could take a pic of the headstock without anythin in there.

this is a pic of my head bearings. the piece on the left is the bit id already taken out. that looks like the pic you posted rf

BruKen

did you test against my earlier post?

rybes

sorry mate i never saw that post before. no i dont think its the forks as when i replaced the bearings it got a little bit worse. when ive pulled the forks to check for any loosness ive always grabbed it by the stanchions not the fork bottoms. still i got another pair of forks i can put in and try. wont hurt to try i suppose

Bixxer Bob

where are you? I could pop over for a look. You have my number :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Well...... we got to the bottom of it, so to speak.  The bearings were pulling into the taper cups ok but that wasn't the cause, new top bearing is a poor fit on the stem - probably 2 thou of play but enough to clonk when all done up. Cleaned and lubricated the old roller cage and fitted it. Still a gnats in it, maybe 1/2 thou but has all but cured the problem. Only a tiny tiny bit of movement now.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

cheers for ya help today bob  :D  glad we got it sorted. idve never thought about usin the old bearin. thanks again.  8)

Bixxer Bob