News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

loose head bearins

Started by rybes, June 03, 2012, 05:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

well, looks like the head bearins have gone again  :cry:  

has anyone had any joy from usin non oe parts ? if ya have what were they n where did ya get em from ? dont fancy payin 50 quid for a set of bearins, altho if i had have done at the start  :roll:  id like this next lot to fit and not have a small bit of movement on the shaft. cant be changin head bearins every 8 weeks   :x

cheers all
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bixxer Bob

Can't remember, did you have another stem?  I suspect its stem wear rather than the bearings.  Would need some very good bore mics to measure them up :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

whats a bore mic ?

i think ive got a daytona bottom yoke. might try a bearin on that and see how that feels.
 i was thinkin of gettin the stem turned down slightly then in the future if a bearins slightly wrong all i need is to get the appropriate spacer turned up. thats if i can find someone who can turn the stem down while its still in the yoke.

Bixxer Bob

Bore mic - micrometer for measuring bores or holes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOWERS-8-9-BO ... 2eb72020ab

Simpler would be mic up the stem and see how much too small it is.  Turning isn't going to work because the type of fit required means it needs to be ground.  It's not possible to turn that sort of accuracy on a lathe.

You could take the stem to a bearing supplier for a try-before-you-buy session :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

You sure you got the right bearings for the top?

You want the bearing for the model of top yoke, not the Steamer.

Although you probably know this, just checking?  :lol:

rf9rider

Did a little checking, bottom bearings are same size for most T3 bikes, but the top bearing has a difference on a couple of bikes of 2mm, some have internal measurement of 15mm, others have 17mm, could this be the problem?

What yokes have you got Rybes? And are you positive you have the right top bearing?

Just had a look online to see what bike your top yoke was off, couldn`t find a match?

Bixxer Bob

problem is with the bottom bearing if I remember rightly

rybes

nah, its the top bearin bob. RF, there early speed triple yokes mate. might have t go lookin and find out what i can maybe ive just bought the wrong bearin  :oops:

just been on world of triumph site n aparantly the early speed triple and tiger share the same top bearin sizes. hopefully tday should be bike maintenace day. (providin i dont go use this sun while its out :lol:) so ill take things apart later n have a look. altho im thinkin of jus goin f a ride its so nice out tday

rf9rider

Well, it can only be one of two things, worn stem or wrong bearing, though i`ve never come across a worn stem.

If the new bearing was too loose, and the old bearing a better fit, points to wrong new bearing in my opinion.

Bixxer Bob

The old bearing was better but not perfect, so some stem wear is evident. The new bearing has more play, but not enough to be the wrong size, so my thinking was that the bearing is out of tolerance hence I'd mic it up if I had the gear because, although not ruling it out, I've never come across that before.

Bixxer Bob

The old bearing was better but not perfect, so some stem wear is evident. The new bearing has more play, but not enough to be the wrong size, so my thinking was that the bearing is out of tolerance hence I'd mic it up if I had the gear because, although not ruling it out, I've never come across that before.

rybes

its all gotta come apart tmora. needed to take the bolt out to get the length of it from me timin chain adjuster n the timin marks moved. so why its apart i think ill take the stem to the bearin shop n see what we can find in his shop. good finkin Bob  8)

rybes

:doubt

evenin. this is gettin daft now. replaced another set of bearins today and it still wont adjust all the slop out.  :pottytrain2

ive got 3 differnt stems downstairs and 2 differnt top bearins and ive tried all 3 in the frame with each of the bearins and there all the same. theres just a tiny bit of slop unless i tighten the bearins up to a point where its a struggle to turn the forks. if i back it off jus enough to make the front end move easy the slops back. WTF ?? surely out of 3 diffetrnt stems n 2 differnt bearins id find one which worked. ive got the tiger one, a sprint one and a speed triple one. all behave exactly the same way. which to me rules out wear on the shaft cos i cant see all 3 wearin exactly the same.
whats the differnce between roller and taper bearins ? i got a roller bearin with the kit i bought. im thinkin of tryin that.
RF, hows your head bearins, did you have this much greif ?

rf9rider

My bearings are fine mate, though i used the Legend TT top and bottom yokes.

Did you get new sets of bearings from the same supplier?

If the problem is with all 3 stems, it must be the bearings are wrong?

As you say, surely all 3 stems can`t be worn.

Other than that i don`t know mate.

Bixxer Bob

They're likely as not from the same batch as RF says.  Did you try taking the stem to the bearing shop?