News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cracked Valve Cover Replacement

Started by audiododd, June 10, 2012, 12:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiododd

I had my '02 Girly in the shop for the 12K service (yeah, yeah, I know I could do it myself, but I just bought it and it's a good opportunity to have them go over it).  It was weeping a bit of oil from around the valve cover.  Got it back and it was still doing it.  Come to find out, there's a small crack in the valve cover.  So now they are getting me prices on new/used covers.

My question to you guys is this...I know that several of the Triumphs used the same engine.  What other valve covers would fit an '02 Tiger 955i??  

The ones I THINK would work are the 02+ Datonas, Speed Triples, and Sprints.  Can someone steer me in the right direction?  Not that I don't trust the dealer  :? but I want to do my own research as well.

Thanks!
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Mustang

just go to bike bandit and confirm the part # on the oem listings for the ones you think are the same

same #= same part then go to ebay and shop till your hearts content you will find a good useable cover cheaper than your dealer will ever provide

http://www.bikebandit.com

audiododd

Already took a look there, but didn't think of matching the part #s.  I found a couple of covers on e-bay that list the 955 and they are going for around $50 ($375 new from BikeBandit).  I also contacted a local bike dismantling (salvage) yard and they are going to see what they can find in the network (nothing in stock, locally).

BTW, I got those foot pegs installed before my big ride to L.A.  Those things are awesome.  I've got a 36" inseam and I was able to keep my seat on the middle setting to avoid the buffeting and still stretch my legs a bit.  I'm sure I'll like them even more when it starts raining again.  My stockers are almost 10 years old and I imagine the rubber will be like ice in the wet.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

HamrenDan

This is gonna sound crazy, but I fixed a buggered up oil pan on my audi with JB Weld.  I took it to get welded but the aluminum was a matrix of different metals and the shop could not get it to work.. It was a hard part to find so I thought I would just do a quick fix.  Cleaned both sides really well and put one coat on the inside and two on the outside.. years later and prolly 100K it is still holding..
HamrenDan
1999 885 Tiger
Previous 99 955i Sprint ST