News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly topbox questions

Started by SSchultz, June 18, 2012, 09:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSchultz

Fitted a custom box on my bike,but  it's made from a thin tin.Secured with 4screws but still don't trust it to let my wife leaning against it full weight.(she's  a tiny woman,but still don't want to risk loosing her..well,not yet  :P And the thing is permanent fitted,no way taking it down after spent 1hour to secure it.

I want to buy an original used topbox,fleabay.Presuming is strong enough,still got a lot of questions:
How big is it?Will it fit 2 fullface helmets?Do I need any additional fixing kit or will be fixed with the 2screws that hold the rack?How easy is to remove it when not needed?Does it have a quick release mechanism?Also,is it strong enough to strap on top of it a dry bag,tent,etc?
Sorry for all the noobish questions,but already at the 3rd topbox and don't wanna go wrong again.Any advise welcome,cheers!

robxxxx

Someone will be along to give you the actual figure for storage space in the OEM box I'm sure. I have one but can't remember.
The original Triumph one does not need fixing. It has a lockable quick release mechanism on the bottom that you hook over the front of the rack then pull a handle out to lock it onto the back of the rack.
It's certainly been big enough for our two helmets. But sadly my wife is still on the back no matter how hard I accelerate.
Oh, nearly forgot. We cargo-netted stuff to the top of it , no problem.

PeteH

Got a Givi box on mine, think its 45ltr and its possible to fit 2 helmets in....depending on the make of course. Givi do..do a 54ltr case which will take everything she can throw at it, but they need the base unit that bolts to rack.
Also be aware that the back pad will push your pillion further forward.
Also..also...be aware there is a recommended weight limit on top box`s but someone will be along to rubbish the comment shortly :wink:
One last thing..ever thought of those handles on a belt thingies? just to add a bit more pillion confidence.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

cosmo

I'm gonna say no way to 2 helmets, unless they are NOT full-face. I'll go try it again, if someone has the origami down to a science.

I've had two Triumphs with the top box you reference, and it IS a good 'un. Your pillion will likely not be upset without pad, as it's shaped well-nuff.
The quick-release on both worked well, and can be keyed to your ignition, if an early style key.

It is clumsy to strap things to owing to a curvy shape. And it rattles, more after miles. This is the quick-release mechanism, which can be fiddled, to greater or lesser success.

Can't find the litre cap. in my literature, possibly on Triumph site??

Don't search "Triumph.com". Interesting result, tho...

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Yankee Dog

I had the Triumph top box on my Trophy, which I believe is the same model. It is about as large as the Givi 52 which I have now. It would fit two full face helments; one XL and one M.

And the missus had no problem leaning against it.

The thing I like about the Givi however is that I can use it on different bikes. It it now on it third and I have managed to cobble together a mounting system for next to nothing on all but the first.

robxxxx

It's quoted as 5Kg inside the top box. I'm surprised my rear end did not fall off when we went to Europe!
Cosmo, do you wear a large or XL helmet?  :wink:

SSchultz

Thanks for all the replies,that was really helpful.  :D
I know about the Givi boxes,had one on my previous Steamer,but went with the bike when sold it.
Will definitely go for an OEM  topbox.Will the Sprint/Trophy ones fit?They look similar.
Now,all I have to do is waiting for them to come to auction.Quite common,if remember well.Thanks again guys  :icon_salut

Chris Canning

As I flatly refuse to ride a bike with panniers,my wife has turned loading a Givi topbox into an art form with advent of vacum bags.

Bixxer Bob

I use a Givi 52 litre; takes 2 full face helmets, gloves etc with ease. The handbook does warn of a ludicrously low weight limit for the rack. I can't remember the figure but I seem to remember thinking it was close to the weight of the topbox when empty so gave that bit of advice a stiff ignoring. After doing some sums of my own, of course :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Even the SW-Motech racks specify only 5kg  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint