News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bleedin brakes

Started by rybes, July 15, 2012, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

3 days ive spent tryin to bleed the fuckers now im totally out of paitence. tried the normal pump pump bleed but no joy, tried pushin fluid through with a syringe no joy, tried pullin fluid through with a syringe no joy, had the lever pulled back to the bar overnight to let bubbles settle still no joy. if it carries on like this itll be in the bikes for sale section next week  :BangHead
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Nick Calne

Sometimes I find having a massive temper tantrum helps.  

I hate bleeding brakes.  I've been putting it off on my mountain bike since 2003.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

rf9rider

What calipers you got mate?

Pistons and seals ok?

You haven`t got stainless nipples on them have you?

fuzee666

Is everything moving freely? Caliper slides and pistons? I did mine a few weeks back and had a spongy brake, it turned out to be trapped air in the Caliper and just by getting someone to pump up the pressure and hold it then you loosen off the nipple but watch out for flying fluid everywhere!!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Les.

rf9rider

Could be an airlock up near the reservoir, have you tried loosening the banjo bolts where they bolt into the reservoir and bleeding there? (plenty of rags to stop the fluid getting on the bodywork)

rybes

i got the triumph 4 pot calipers on there and yes it had stainless niples but ive put back the old ones now. they were fine on the other calipers but on these they seems to have leaked a bit. so theyve been swapped out. tried bleedin the banjo bolt at the cylinder and theres no air there. master cyilnder seems to have pressure behind it cos it pushes me finger of the banjo bolt hole.

fuzee, ive put 3 spoke wheels on now so i cant have the old slidin calipers no more. its got 4 pot sprint ones on now

rf9rider

Have you got the right brake lever fitted?

You could try and remove the brake lever, and use something like a screwdriver to push the piston in on the reservoir as you bleed them, doing it that way allows you to push the piston in more, its worked for me i the past.

Other than that, it might be leaky seals somewhere.

rybes

well tday ive annealed the copper washers and it seems like it might have made a minute differnce. still cant get pressure built up tho, altho its slightly more than before.
as for levers RF im usin the shorty levers i had on before. im now off to check if the levers from the tiger n sprint share the same part numbers.

yep they share the same lever

Sin_Tiger

Ah, might want to check that those levers are getting a full stroke on the piston and also allowing the piston to come all the way back to let in the make up fluid. That would explain the issues you're experiencing.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

took the lever off and tried it without but still no joy. had the lever pulled back all day but still feels spongy but there dont seem to be any air left in the system.  :?
how do your brakes feel RF ?

rf9rider

Mine are good mate, stops on a sixpence!

I did a full rebuild on them after i painted them, polished the pistons and a full set of new seals.

Are you using the original Tiger master cylinder?

The Trophy/Sprint uses a different/bigger one, the original Tiger one  will make the brakes feel spongy/wooden.

If you`ve done all suggested, a full caliper overhaul might be the way to go?

rybes

ive got the sprint master cylinder so thats all good.
tnite i maqde up a pressure bleeder thingy. wernt pretty but it worked. guess what  :D  still no brakes  :x

im startin to think master cylinder seal kit. do you know what cylinder youve used RF ? theres 2 listed but im not sure what one i got. i think mines 5/8ths.

so until tmora n hopefully i can get a seal kit i still got no bike  :cry:

nightrunner

I have never bled the Tiger brakes so far, but a trick we use with the Transalps is too reverse bleed them.  Use a syringe or something and force the fluid in at the caliper and remove it with a turkey baster from the master cylinder.  All the air wants to travel in the same direction so you're not fighting the flow.  FWIW.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

rf9rider

Yup, its the 5/8th one you want.

Have you had the calipers apart to check the pistons aren`t seized or seals leaking?

You haven`t got paint somewhere you shouldn`t have when you painted them?

You using the original Tiger lines with the splitter?

rybes

im usin the lines i had on there before. 2 seperate lines, no splitter. havnt had the calipers apart and was careful when i painted em. i think tmora ill take it all apart and check the calipers just to make sure and ive got me fingers crossed that lings has a master cylnder repair kit in stock.

gunna try your idea too night but with me home made pressure bleeder. might work better than a syringe