News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Capping right side air intake at the box?

Started by biodegraded, July 27, 2012, 06:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biodegraded

Hi All,
After 6 years of no riding, I'm doing a major refurb on my 97 (chili red - they're fastest  :D ) so kitty'll steam again. I'll probably be posting a series of questions over the next couple of months.

First up, would there be negative consequences to simply capping the right side air intake at the airbiox? Statically, that whole right side snorkle assembly which ends in a cap is just so much usless plastic. I'm wondering if it has a dynamic contribution, though. (i.e. it's a pneumatic capacitor)

I'd like to use the space occupied by the redundant stuff for tool pouch storage if I don't need it.

cheers,
Keith

JetdocX

You need that extra space to get the proper airbox resonance.  Don't remove it.  Unfortunately it's required to make up for poor/antiquated intake engineering.
From parts unknown.

biodegraded

I was hoping that Triumph's including the right side assembly was a parts / manufacturing choice rather than one having a functional reason. Oh well, it stays in place then. Thanks for the reply.

Sin_Tiger

The same thought had crossed my mind (short trip) more than once, even thought about putting some small kit inside. I'd agree with DOC though.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

It's pretty easy to remove the one side and tape it off.  Give it a try.  Just don't build your toolbox until you see how it works.
From parts unknown.

rf9rider

I spoke to Clive Woods last year about airboxes, amongst other things, and replacing them with pod filters or something different.

In all his years of experience running the Triumph racing team, he said to leave the original box in place as it will never run right, and he never found a better replacement than the original.

Just sayin`   :)

fishnbiker

Quote from: "rf9rider"I spoke to Clive Woods last year about airboxes, amongst other things, and replacing them with pod filters or something different.

In all his years of experience running the Triumph racing team, he said to leave the original box in place as it will never run right, and he never found a better replacement than the original.

Just sayin`   :)

]I found a better replacement! No small task to get the jetting right, but now it Dyno's at 101hp (caveat ... 3 into 1 header & Titanium GSXR can as well). Fuel consumption runs about 300km~200 miles to reserve on a 17 tooth front sprocket, about 40km~25 miles more with a 19 tooth. Both snorkels have been spares containers for about 11 years now. I built a K&N filter to fit a Porsche 911 into a workable unit for my Felix. The proof-of-concept unit was the original airbox with the snorkel intakes cut back to almost flush with the main body of the air box. I tried that for a year before going to the K&N, mainly for an exercise in fabrication. My example is the large one piece & another from an unremembered source for the 3 pot style.

The snorkels now carry extra levers, tape, bulbs, wire & connectors, tie wraps, & a couple of rags.

More info available if anyone wants to pursue a project.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Rocinante

I tried to use the right reservoir for spares when traveling, but removed it again as it really f.. up top end performance.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Rocinante"I tried to use the right reservoir for spares when traveling, but removed it again as it really f.. up top end performance.

Yes, I seem to remember talking you into trying that. It turned out to be a small part of a big package to get the changes working properly. Mine did take quite some time & effort to sort, but the results were wonderfull !
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Rocinante

Quote from: "fishnbiker"
Quote from: "Rocinante"I tried to use the right reservoir for spares when traveling, but removed it again as it really f.. up top end performance.

Yes, I seem to remember talking you into trying that.

Ah yes, it was up at your place we tried that out. I had forgotten that.:)
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com