News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New '04. What are the main things to inspect?

Started by Gundy, July 30, 2012, 04:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundy

Hey all,

Just picked up an '04 with only 12,400 miles on it, and I'm loving it so far.   I am in the process of going through the bike and making sure everything is good to go.   So far I topped off the coolant, changed the oil to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 (suggested on several forums), installed a Bosch oil filter (by the way I found a great universal oil filter wrench made by imperial that works on the Triump brand as well as the Bosch I installed, has a slot for a 3/8" socket wrench, $8 at Wal-mart), set the preload/rebound for my usage, and cleaned/lubed the chain.   I am also running Sea Foam through the current tank of gas.   I plan to install some rox risers and eventually get some Touratech skid plates, radiator guards, etc.

What are some common areas for problems are should check out first?  The bike is in good condition overall, but since I am the third owner there is no telling what has been done.   Valves were supposedly checked at 10k miles and the brakes and sprockets/chain were changed then as well.    Maybe I should get the throttle bodies synced up?

Thanks for any suggestions!
\'04 Tiger 955i
WR250R

emken67

Brake caliper pistons corrode rapidly in wet weather conditions, so this may be something to check.  Did it have its 12000 mile service, as plugs and fuel filter should be changed at that interval.

John Stenhouse

Stator and rectifier is the only other problem you MAY encounter
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Gundy

It was never taken in for the official 12k service, and though I try to do as much work as possible myself, it is tempting to just pay up so I can start with a clean slate.  

If the valves were done at 10k, would it be safe to wait a few thousand miles (currently at 12,500), say to the end of the season.    From the sounds of it these bikes do not need adjustment very often.
\'04 Tiger 955i
WR250R

Chris Canning

With that kind of mileage it's done plenty of standing around,the fuel filter is 24thou,but no big deal to do and an chance to lift the tank and check everything and either clean or dust it off,same with the airfilter,and everything else.

I'd have the wheels out to check and grease the speedo drive,yea I know it's electric but the fitting still needs cleaning(well),and my mania is brake pads,I've lost track of how many times I've had mine out to clean both calipers and pads.

I do everything on mine except shims(15,000 and 28,000 and they put lots in!!!) and the mapping,but before I have ever taken the bike in I've stripped and cleaned it,when they lift the tank and see it's clean and 'I Care' I've found they do too.